Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Lindon and have heavy clay soil. I have been adding leaves and grass to my garden soil and it still compacts rapidly. Can I use the compost from the green and public waste dept. on a vegetable garden?
Rate This FAQ
"Green Waste" such as leaf and branch compost is wonderful for your vegetable garden. Be sure and incorporate it into your soil. Most vegetables can grow roots down 15" but tomatoes can go down 18" so give the garden a good 18" base in which to grow.
Since you have heavy clay soil, it would be helpful if you changed to raised beds (Grow Box Gardening). They would dry out quicker in the spring and give good drainage during the season. Make your beds no wider than 4' deep (you can reach and harvest 2' from one side and 2' from the other side and not have to step in the garden to harvest the produce). I would leave 18" to 2' between the rows so that you can walk down the rows and harvest your vegetables without stepping on the plants.
-Julia B. Tuck
Slow the Flow Schedule Coordinator
USU Cooperative Extension
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- How do I control field bind weed?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- What do I do about squash bugs?