Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Lindon and have heavy clay soil. I have been adding leaves and grass to my garden soil and it still compacts rapidly. Can I use the compost from the green and public waste dept. on a vegetable garden?
Rate This FAQ
"Green Waste" such as leaf and branch compost is wonderful for your vegetable garden. Be sure and incorporate it into your soil. Most vegetables can grow roots down 15" but tomatoes can go down 18" so give the garden a good 18" base in which to grow.
Since you have heavy clay soil, it would be helpful if you changed to raised beds (Grow Box Gardening). They would dry out quicker in the spring and give good drainage during the season. Make your beds no wider than 4' deep (you can reach and harvest 2' from one side and 2' from the other side and not have to step in the garden to harvest the produce). I would leave 18" to 2' between the rows so that you can walk down the rows and harvest your vegetables without stepping on the plants.
-Julia B. Tuck
Slow the Flow Schedule Coordinator
USU Cooperative Extension
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
- What is the best way to get rid of morning glory in my lawn and garden?
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?