Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
If you feel like your yard has become a kennel for stray animals, you are not alone. Animals tend to visit other yards more often this time of year. Consider these methods to get rid of strays. Keep in mind that safety for both humans and animals should be considered, and not all methods are effective for all animals.
Propel water. Water propelled from a cup, pitcher, hose or toy water gun can dissuade animals from visiting. Even if the water doesn't make contact with the animal, the motions involved and the water landing nearby will send the message that they are not welcome. This method, however, can be time consuming and requires that someone regularly monitors your yard.
Fence your yard. If you are building a fence, consider what animals you want to exclude as you select fencing materials. If you already have a fence and want to deter cats from climbing it, place strips of double faced tape or plastic along the top. Cats do not like the feel of these materials on their paws.
Try a homemade repellent. Moth balls can be an effective area repellent, or repellent recipes can work as well. Chop one whole Spanish onion and one jalapeno pepper. Add two quarts water to one tablespoon of cayenne pepper and boil for 20 minutes. Cool, strain water through a cheesecloth, then spray with a garden sprayer in areas where animals are being a nuisance. You may need to spray daily for up to two weeks.
Use a repellent device. These devices usually involve a triggering mechanism so that sound and lights are activated when a barrier is broken by the animal's entry or movement. With this method, it is important to consider the effects on the animal as well as neighbors within audio range.
Buy a commercial repellent. New repellent products have become available. Visit your local pet store to see the products they carry.
If all else fails while trying to rid stray pets from your yard, help is available through your local animal control agency. They also can assist with wild animal control.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?