Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
Rate This FAQ
You can grow hazelnuts (filberts), black walnuts, English walnuts, and of course pinyons. You also possibly could grow butternut, Chinese chestnuts, and pistachios (non grafted Pistachio vera). You might have a chance growing cold-hardy varieties of pecan.
I recommend you visit the Northern Nut Growers website at http://www.icserv.com/nnga/. They have a lot of good info, & connections with people who really are into nut growing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- I have a peach tree that I want to save - it's almost completely dead because of borers. There are some healthy branches on it still, and I'm wondering about the possibility of grafting some of this stock onto another peach tree I have. Where can I find out how to do this?