Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
Rate This FAQ
You can grow hazelnuts (filberts), black walnuts, English walnuts, and of course pinyons. You also possibly could grow butternut, Chinese chestnuts, and pistachios (non grafted Pistachio vera). You might have a chance growing cold-hardy varieties of pecan.
I recommend you visit the Northern Nut Growers website at http://www.icserv.com/nnga/. They have a lot of good info, & connections with people who really are into nut growing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- Is there a variety of Nectarine which will grow well here in northern Utah? Can I grow just one tree? Is it okay to grow it near a peach tree or will they cross-pollinate and cause problems? Do they have the same risk of disease as peaches do?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?