Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
Rate This FAQ
Oranges can be kept at room temperature. The start to decline in quality within a week. They will still be good until mold pierces their skin and spoils the inside. This can happen quicker if there is moisture present. Some fancy mail order companies wrap the orange in wax paper to keep out moisture. This can help some. I am not aware of any tricks to prolong storage time. You can store oranges in the refrigerator crisper for 2-4 weeks. Again the quality will be good until mold grows. Orange peel, juice or flesh can be frozen. Frozen citrus will last for 6-12 months. Oranges cannot be successfully canned in any way, except marmalade. It becomes bitter when canned.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How much water should I store?
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?