Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
Rate This FAQ
Oranges can be kept at room temperature. The start to decline in quality within a week. They will still be good until mold pierces their skin and spoils the inside. This can happen quicker if there is moisture present. Some fancy mail order companies wrap the orange in wax paper to keep out moisture. This can help some. I am not aware of any tricks to prolong storage time. You can store oranges in the refrigerator crisper for 2-4 weeks. Again the quality will be good until mold grows. Orange peel, juice or flesh can be frozen. Frozen citrus will last for 6-12 months. Oranges cannot be successfully canned in any way, except marmalade. It becomes bitter when canned.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???