Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you please tell me how much more efficient it is to cook with a crock-pot rather than using an oven?
Rate This FAQ
You would assume it is more efficient. The crock pot web site, if you google it, came up with the following example. Hope this helps.
Some ovens run at 120volts, some 220, 240 etc... Lets say we're using a stove with 220volts X 10amps = 2200watts in an hour. The oven's heating element is controlled by the temperature of the oven (which you set), so it's turned on and off to maintain a desired temperature. The heat is kept in the oven by the insulation. So during one hour, the heating element is turned on and off a few times. Depending on your oven and the temperature, the heating element may only be used for a fraction of an hour, say 10 or 15 minutes. So, really, your energy consumption is only 1/4 X 2200 = 550 watts (maybe more, maybe less).
Crock pots run at 120volts with low amps. If we cook with a crock pot that runs at 120v X 1.5amps = 180 watts (This is about medium heat). If we let the crock pot cook for 8 hours, you get 180 X 8 = 1440.
So you see, crock pot cooking could actually use twice as much energy as using ovens! Of course, keep in mind that different pots, with different sizes, amps etc... will have different results. If you had a small crock pot, you'd be using less energy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I snake proof my home?
- I rent out a condo in a very clean complex in Holladay. My new renter called me in a panic believing she has cockroaches. The service I then had spray the unit said "they had never seen cockroaches in 20 years here." She called again saying they still come out at night from under her refrigerator and dishwasher. I had her save some in a bag and overnight, something in the bag hatched and there were dozens. The adults look rather like the photo of a cockroach I downloaded from WikiPedia, but they are only about 3/4" long. Can you tell me about cockroaches in Utah? Who can I get to identify these insects? How can we get rid of them.
- Do you have tips for organizing the garage?
- How can I protect my home from a wildfire?
- What's the best way to store fruits and vegetables?
- I have some water pipes to my tub on on a outside wall. What can be done to keep them from freezing and breaking?
- The candle dripped wax onto my table cloth how do I get the stain out?
- How do I prevent my pipes from freezing?