Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you please tell me how much more efficient it is to cook with a crock-pot rather than using an oven?
Rate This FAQ
You would assume it is more efficient. The crock pot web site, if you google it, came up with the following example. Hope this helps.
Some ovens run at 120volts, some 220, 240 etc... Lets say we're using a stove with 220volts X 10amps = 2200watts in an hour. The oven's heating element is controlled by the temperature of the oven (which you set), so it's turned on and off to maintain a desired temperature. The heat is kept in the oven by the insulation. So during one hour, the heating element is turned on and off a few times. Depending on your oven and the temperature, the heating element may only be used for a fraction of an hour, say 10 or 15 minutes. So, really, your energy consumption is only 1/4 X 2200 = 550 watts (maybe more, maybe less).
Crock pots run at 120volts with low amps. If we cook with a crock pot that runs at 120v X 1.5amps = 180 watts (This is about medium heat). If we let the crock pot cook for 8 hours, you get 180 X 8 = 1440.
So you see, crock pot cooking could actually use twice as much energy as using ovens! Of course, keep in mind that different pots, with different sizes, amps etc... will have different results. If you had a small crock pot, you'd be using less energy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I prevent a wildfire from destroying my home?
- Do you have tips on table etiquette?
- Do you have some tips on clothing storage?
- How do I remove mildew from fabric?
- I have, what may be, a rat in my back yard. I have pictures that I could send to you. It is eating my bird food, but other than that, doesn't seem to be a problem....yet. It actually lives next door and comes under my fence to get food (I have a black lab that is in our yard so I think they live next door for their safety). Could you tell me if I need to get rid of it for health...danger...or other reasons? I know our area has rats in the fields (Milcreek area), I just don't feel comfortable with one this close to my house.
- How can we promote peace in our home when there is not peace around us?
- How can I protect my home from a wildfire?
- I built a house last year and we have ants all over. They are coming back now that the weather is warming up. What can I do to get rid of them?