Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you please tell me how much more efficient it is to cook with a crock-pot rather than using an oven?
Rate This FAQ
You would assume it is more efficient. The crock pot web site, if you google it, came up with the following example. Hope this helps.
Some ovens run at 120volts, some 220, 240 etc... Lets say we're using a stove with 220volts X 10amps = 2200watts in an hour. The oven's heating element is controlled by the temperature of the oven (which you set), so it's turned on and off to maintain a desired temperature. The heat is kept in the oven by the insulation. So during one hour, the heating element is turned on and off a few times. Depending on your oven and the temperature, the heating element may only be used for a fraction of an hour, say 10 or 15 minutes. So, really, your energy consumption is only 1/4 X 2200 = 550 watts (maybe more, maybe less).
Crock pots run at 120volts with low amps. If we cook with a crock pot that runs at 120v X 1.5amps = 180 watts (This is about medium heat). If we let the crock pot cook for 8 hours, you get 180 X 8 = 1440.
So you see, crock pot cooking could actually use twice as much energy as using ovens! Of course, keep in mind that different pots, with different sizes, amps etc... will have different results. If you had a small crock pot, you'd be using less energy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I want to get rid of spiders inside my house. What do you recommend I spray inside and outside with?
- I'd like to make my own household cleaning products. Do you have tips?
- Tricks for treating halloween stains.
- Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
- Do you have tips for organizing the garage?
- What's the best way to store fruits and vegetables?
- How can I prevent timber theft on my forest property?
- How do I keep mice out of my house?