Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have purchased a few acres in summit county at about 9500 feet elevation. The property is in the middle of a meadow, with no natural trees. I would like to plant some evergreen seedlings. Will they grow? I am wondering why the meadow would not already have these types of trees, if they would in fact grow there. Can you recommend the best type of tree for success, or am I better off saving my money? There are evergreens growing all around the meadow a few hundred yards away. Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
Doug, You are asking the right question - why are there no trees there now? If trees haven't been removed some time in the past (i.e. it is a natural meadow), then the most likely cause is that the site is a little drier than a tree needs (trees need above about 18 inches or more of precip a year, & much of that needs to come in the growing season; spruces & firs need more like a minimum of 25 inches a year).
Ironically, the site also could be too wet. If the area is water-logged or soupy most trees won't survive.
So, if the site is a little too dry in summer, all you have to do is irrigate. You could plant junipers (toughest and best), Douglas-fir, Engelmann or blue spruce, or white or subalpine fir (least tough).
Until the trees get up in height you might need to fence them to protect from deer damage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???