Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know where you are located, but assuming you are in the colder parts of Utah, relatively few nurseries will have what you want, so you may have to take what you can get. A cold-hardy species of pine, spruce, or fir will be fine (in Utah Scotch, Austrian, or ponderosa pines; blue, Norway, or Dwarf Alberta spruces; white fir; Douglas-fir).
You can bring it indoors, but keep it cool (close heating vents near it & keep it out of the sun), well watered (moist but not water-logged), & only bring it in for a week or two; then put it in the ground in a spot that is shady or leave it in the pot and heavily mulch the root system, then plant in spring.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently purchased a home in Sandy and there are chinese elms everywhere. Some of them are growing around gas and water lines. How do I get rid of them? Can I cut them down and poisen the root system? I also have a backyard that is completely overgrown with what I think is an annual bluegrass. I just want to rip all that out and plant seed in the fall. What is the best way to get rid of the annual bluegrass so it dosen't grow back next year? Can I just till it or do I need to do more than that?
- Some of the bottom leafs on my tomato plants have turned brown and are dying. I have lost one plant and it looks like another may go soon. I am watering three to four times per week and I have been putting a liquid fertilizer on the plants about once a week. Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong?
- Is there another alternative to getting rid of ferry ring in a lawn than by removing the soil?
- I have old cottonwoods in my yard. Vines are growing up about 5-6 feet on them (honeysuckle, ivy or virginia creeper) They are dying about on a year for the past 4 years and I lost another one this summer. Are the vines killing them or could it be the age of the trees?
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
- How do I eradicate an OLD ivy? This has a trunk like a small tree and vast growth on a wall. I'd like to put in a carport and have been hacking at this ivy but am concerned it will grow back. Can I paint the cut trunk to stop re-growth? Would a copper nail kill it? Thanks!