Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know where you are located, but assuming you are in the colder parts of Utah, relatively few nurseries will have what you want, so you may have to take what you can get. A cold-hardy species of pine, spruce, or fir will be fine (in Utah Scotch, Austrian, or ponderosa pines; blue, Norway, or Dwarf Alberta spruces; white fir; Douglas-fir).
You can bring it indoors, but keep it cool (close heating vents near it & keep it out of the sun), well watered (moist but not water-logged), & only bring it in for a week or two; then put it in the ground in a spot that is shady or leave it in the pot and heavily mulch the root system, then plant in spring.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I had to cut down a large Globe Willow tree in my back yard as it was growing into the power line. I have heard that it is dangerous to burn the wood from a Globe Willow in a fireplace as it emits toxic fumes. Is this true?
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
- I had three Canadian Red Chokecherry (prunus virginiana L.) planted Oct 2007; 1 1/2" caliper, 13' tall. This spring, the leaves were a solid green; now they they are turning a purplish red. Is this normal?
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- I think I have Johnsongrass invading my back lawn. I has sprayed the usual Crabgrass/lawn grassy weed killer on it and it is still taking over my entire lawn. What can I do?
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?