Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know where you are located, but assuming you are in the colder parts of Utah, relatively few nurseries will have what you want, so you may have to take what you can get. A cold-hardy species of pine, spruce, or fir will be fine (in Utah Scotch, Austrian, or ponderosa pines; blue, Norway, or Dwarf Alberta spruces; white fir; Douglas-fir).
You can bring it indoors, but keep it cool (close heating vents near it & keep it out of the sun), well watered (moist but not water-logged), & only bring it in for a week or two; then put it in the ground in a spot that is shady or leave it in the pot and heavily mulch the root system, then plant in spring.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
- I want to plant a lilac hedge. I've never done lilacs before - how far apart should I plant them? Can I do a double row for a thicker hedge? If so, how far apart should the rows be? How fast do they grow? Do they need special care (they will be pretty close to a fairly busy road)? Can I plant them now, or should I wait until it's a little warmer? What are their fertilizer and water requirements? Will they be useful as a bit of a wind- and soundbreak? Thank you.
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- I love to golf. One of the reasons I love to golf is that I love the serenity of a golf course and especially the beautiful mature trees of all sorts. The Globe Willow in particular is my favorite because of its shape and size so I decided to purchase one and plant it in my backyard. I have read several articles that talk about these trees being very suceptible to disease and I wondered if it was as much of a problem here in Utah with such cold winters for half the year. I don't want to watch this tree suffer its whole life and end up taking it down. I live in the Cottonwood Heights area. Can you help with any advice?
- Can I legally drill a small water well (or two) under 30 feet deep in my back yard without a permit?