Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
Rate This FAQ
I would not recommend treating the soil prior to laying new sod. While you have experienced problems with necrotic ring spot, the organisms that cause
this disease are always present. They only "outbreak" when the conditions are right. What I would recommend is that you work to keep the new sod
healthy and manage it so that outbreaks of necrotic ringspot are reduced.
To that end, cultural controls recommended by our Plant Pest Diagnostic Lab include:
Cultural techniques that prevent the lawn from becoming stressed will help prevent these two diseases. In early spring or fall, the lawn should be
aerated. Aeration improves water penetration and reduces thatch, thus alleviating conditions that cause stress. Nitrogen fertilizer should be
applied frequently at low rates or in slow release forms such as sulfur coated urea or IBDU. This avoids undesirable flushes of growth which are
more susceptible to disease. Mow the lawn at a height of 2-3 inches often enough so that only 30-40% of the leaf length is removed per mowing. In most
soils, the lawn should be watered infrequently and deeply. Sandy soils will require more frequent, light irrigation. Wet the entire rot zone when
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?