Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it save to eat weevil?
Rate This FAQ
It is safe to consume dead weevils. There is a very small risk that live weevils may harbor foodborne illness bacteria if they were recently feeding on contaminated foods.
The FDA allows certain levels of insect parts in foods: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms
If you have grains with live weevils they can be killed using dry ice and sealing the grains in a container. Smaller containers can use oxygen absorber packages.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh