Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
Rate This FAQ
Now that you have pulled up your vegetable plants, it is an excellent time to spray the grass weeds with RoundUp. You will need to do it quickly, while the grass is still actively growing. RoundUp contains glyphosate which is a growth regulator- it only works on actively growing plants. It makes the plants grow so quickly that they starve to death.
The glyphosate will bind with the soil on contact and make it safe to plant vegetables next year. Be sure to rotate your vegetable plants by family to help discourage pests and diseases. Most pests and diseases can’t stay in the soil for 3 or 4 years without a host and survive. You might put a barrier down around the outside of your vegetable garden to keep out the grass for next year.
I hope this information will be of help to you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- I need info on the care and maintenance of a Christmas Poinsetta. In the past I have lost them and really wish to keep this one alive to add to my current household of plants.
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the planting schedule for Utah. Could you also tell me gardening plants that tend to grow better than others here in Utah? Thank you
- Do you have tips for growing cauliflower and celery?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- When do I pick my watermelon?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?