Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
Rate This FAQ
Now that you have pulled up your vegetable plants, it is an excellent time to spray the grass weeds with RoundUp. You will need to do it quickly, while the grass is still actively growing. RoundUp contains glyphosate which is a growth regulator- it only works on actively growing plants. It makes the plants grow so quickly that they starve to death.
The glyphosate will bind with the soil on contact and make it safe to plant vegetables next year. Be sure to rotate your vegetable plants by family to help discourage pests and diseases. Most pests and diseases can’t stay in the soil for 3 or 4 years without a host and survive. You might put a barrier down around the outside of your vegetable garden to keep out the grass for next year.
I hope this information will be of help to you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- My squash plants turned white and wilted this summer. What happened?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?