Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
Rate This FAQ
Now that you have pulled up your vegetable plants, it is an excellent time to spray the grass weeds with RoundUp. You will need to do it quickly, while the grass is still actively growing. RoundUp contains glyphosate which is a growth regulator- it only works on actively growing plants. It makes the plants grow so quickly that they starve to death.
The glyphosate will bind with the soil on contact and make it safe to plant vegetables next year. Be sure to rotate your vegetable plants by family to help discourage pests and diseases. Most pests and diseases can’t stay in the soil for 3 or 4 years without a host and survive. You might put a barrier down around the outside of your vegetable garden to keep out the grass for next year.
I hope this information will be of help to you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the planting schedule for Utah. Could you also tell me gardening plants that tend to grow better than others here in Utah? Thank you
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
- My squash plants turned white and wilted this summer. What happened?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?