Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
Rate This FAQ
Now that you have pulled up your vegetable plants, it is an excellent time to spray the grass weeds with RoundUp. You will need to do it quickly, while the grass is still actively growing. RoundUp contains glyphosate which is a growth regulator- it only works on actively growing plants. It makes the plants grow so quickly that they starve to death.
The glyphosate will bind with the soil on contact and make it safe to plant vegetables next year. Be sure to rotate your vegetable plants by family to help discourage pests and diseases. Most pests and diseases can’t stay in the soil for 3 or 4 years without a host and survive. You might put a barrier down around the outside of your vegetable garden to keep out the grass for next year.
I hope this information will be of help to you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- When can I cut back my tulips and other spring bulbs?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?