Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
Rate This FAQ
Now that you have pulled up your vegetable plants, it is an excellent time to spray the grass weeds with RoundUp. You will need to do it quickly, while the grass is still actively growing. RoundUp contains glyphosate which is a growth regulator- it only works on actively growing plants. It makes the plants grow so quickly that they starve to death.
The glyphosate will bind with the soil on contact and make it safe to plant vegetables next year. Be sure to rotate your vegetable plants by family to help discourage pests and diseases. Most pests and diseases can’t stay in the soil for 3 or 4 years without a host and survive. You might put a barrier down around the outside of your vegetable garden to keep out the grass for next year.
I hope this information will be of help to you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is the best way to get rid of morning glory in my lawn and garden?
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.
- Tomato tutorial
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?