Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a poinsettia that is about three years old. The first year it bloomed beautifully, then last year and now this year, just before the holidays, the leaves wither and fall off. I have not changed anything carewise. It is in an ideal place, gets plenty of dark hours, no drafts, filtered sun, and just enough water. Why is it doing this?
Rate This FAQ
Poinsettias are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Even the trip from the store to your car can sometimes cause leaf drop if the outdoor temperature is very different from indoor temps. See this webpage for more information: http://www.uri.edu/ce/factshee
On that page, it also mentions that leaf drop might also happen if the root system gets dried out (or stays wet too long and root rot develops). Other than that, there's no reason why your plant would drop leaves like that. You may need to repot into a larger container in case the plant has become rootbound. If so, it actually has less available water now than it used to.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- What's eating your raspberries besides you?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?