Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a poinsettia that is about three years old. The first year it bloomed beautifully, then last year and now this year, just before the holidays, the leaves wither and fall off. I have not changed anything carewise. It is in an ideal place, gets plenty of dark hours, no drafts, filtered sun, and just enough water. Why is it doing this?
Rate This FAQ
Poinsettias are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Even the trip from the store to your car can sometimes cause leaf drop if the outdoor temperature is very different from indoor temps. See this webpage for more information: http://www.uri.edu/ce/factshee
On that page, it also mentions that leaf drop might also happen if the root system gets dried out (or stays wet too long and root rot develops). Other than that, there's no reason why your plant would drop leaves like that. You may need to repot into a larger container in case the plant has become rootbound. If so, it actually has less available water now than it used to.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- Tomato tutorial
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?