Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a poinsettia that is about three years old. The first year it bloomed beautifully, then last year and now this year, just before the holidays, the leaves wither and fall off. I have not changed anything carewise. It is in an ideal place, gets plenty of dark hours, no drafts, filtered sun, and just enough water. Why is it doing this?
Rate This FAQ
Poinsettias are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Even the trip from the store to your car can sometimes cause leaf drop if the outdoor temperature is very different from indoor temps. See this webpage for more information: http://www.uri.edu/ce/factshee
On that page, it also mentions that leaf drop might also happen if the root system gets dried out (or stays wet too long and root rot develops). Other than that, there's no reason why your plant would drop leaves like that. You may need to repot into a larger container in case the plant has become rootbound. If so, it actually has less available water now than it used to.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- I have heard that black walnut sawdust should not be used in composting. People have told me it is poisonous to other plants. Is that true. I have several bushels of sawdust and would hate to send it to the land fill, but don't want to poison my garden either.
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??