Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
Rate This FAQ
Commercially canned foods will retain most of their vitamin content for the shelf life storage time stated on the cans. After that time, the company is stating it no longer supports it's own claims. During storage, vitamins are the only major nutritional element lost. So, the food will still retain all of the calories, proteins, minerals, etc.
Commercially canned foods that have not been compromised will remain safe --even after the expiration date. We recommend that people replace their food storage as their finances permit. A general rule for canned goods is 5 years. If you wait too long, then the food no longer tastes any good and it is harder to eat.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?