Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
Rate This FAQ
Commercially canned foods will retain most of their vitamin content for the shelf life storage time stated on the cans. After that time, the company is stating it no longer supports it's own claims. During storage, vitamins are the only major nutritional element lost. So, the food will still retain all of the calories, proteins, minerals, etc.
Commercially canned foods that have not been compromised will remain safe --even after the expiration date. We recommend that people replace their food storage as their finances permit. A general rule for canned goods is 5 years. If you wait too long, then the food no longer tastes any good and it is harder to eat.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- How much food should I store?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- How long can I keep stored foods?