Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?
Rate This FAQ
Concerning your question on plum pollination. You are correct in that Japanese and European plums will not pollinate one another. However, European prune-type plums, such as stanley Damson, and the Italian are all considered self-fruitfull (they don't need a pollinator). As for the Japanese plums you listed, Santa Rosa is a very popular plum with reddish-purple skin and amber flesh. The flavor is quite nice and a bit tangy. It too is self fruitfull. The Satsuma is another Japanese plum has a mottled maroon/ green skin and dark red flesh. The flavor is considered to be mild and not tart. The Satsuma does need another tree for pollination, such as a Santa Rosa or Beauty.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- I have two new flowering pear trees that are being used as breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am not sure what is eating them the leaves have large scallops taken out of them. The lower branches have been affected more than the top ones. Any ideas?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?