Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?
Rate This FAQ
Concerning your question on plum pollination. You are correct in that Japanese and European plums will not pollinate one another. However, European prune-type plums, such as stanley Damson, and the Italian are all considered self-fruitfull (they don't need a pollinator). As for the Japanese plums you listed, Santa Rosa is a very popular plum with reddish-purple skin and amber flesh. The flavor is quite nice and a bit tangy. It too is self fruitfull. The Satsuma is another Japanese plum has a mottled maroon/ green skin and dark red flesh. The flavor is considered to be mild and not tart. The Satsuma does need another tree for pollination, such as a Santa Rosa or Beauty.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?