Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?
Rate This FAQ
Concerning your question on plum pollination. You are correct in that Japanese and European plums will not pollinate one another. However, European prune-type plums, such as stanley Damson, and the Italian are all considered self-fruitfull (they don't need a pollinator). As for the Japanese plums you listed, Santa Rosa is a very popular plum with reddish-purple skin and amber flesh. The flavor is quite nice and a bit tangy. It too is self fruitfull. The Satsuma is another Japanese plum has a mottled maroon/ green skin and dark red flesh. The flavor is considered to be mild and not tart. The Satsuma does need another tree for pollination, such as a Santa Rosa or Beauty.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?