Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?
Rate This FAQ
Concerning your question on plum pollination. You are correct in that Japanese and European plums will not pollinate one another. However, European prune-type plums, such as stanley Damson, and the Italian are all considered self-fruitfull (they don't need a pollinator). As for the Japanese plums you listed, Santa Rosa is a very popular plum with reddish-purple skin and amber flesh. The flavor is quite nice and a bit tangy. It too is self fruitfull. The Satsuma is another Japanese plum has a mottled maroon/ green skin and dark red flesh. The flavor is considered to be mild and not tart. The Satsuma does need another tree for pollination, such as a Santa Rosa or Beauty.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?
- We recently replaced our driveway and it now within a foot of two 10 year old Linden trees. Are the trees too close to the driveway? Will the root system eventually break up the concrete?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?