Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
Rate This FAQ
If we have a few days with high temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees, you could go ahead and treat the weeds this fall. A basic weedkiller herbicide with 2,4-D in it will kill dandelions very effectively. Field bindweed (aka morning glory) is much more difficult to kill, and responds better to a glyphosate-containing (broad spectrum) herbicide. But you can only use that in areas where you want to kill ALL the plants - because it is non-selective.
Always spray on a calm day, preferably in the morning. Select an herbicide that is labeled for your purpose, and mix it according to the recommended rates for that purpose.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" is a useful tool to help you learn which herbicide to use. You can download that publication at http://extension.usu.edu/files
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- We have a lot of scrub oak around our home. In some spots we have some ground cover and other area are bare. We would like to add a nice ground cover to mix in with the oak in these bare areas. Do you have suggestions for ground cover? Also, in one particular area, we have a large amount of grass growing in the ground cover surrounding the scrub oak. What is the best way to get rid of this grass? Is there a ground cover that can overtake the grass?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- How can I conserve water and still have a nice lawn?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.