Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
Spring and early summer are the times of year most commonly recommended
for fertilizing. Most of the time, most trees only need nitrogen. A soil
analysis will tell you if phosphorous or potassium should be added. The
general rule of thumb is to apply one-eighth to one-quarter pound actual
nitrogen per year for every inch of trunk diameter. So, a tree with a trunk
about 2 inches wide (diameter at breast height)should get about 10 ounces
(five-eighths pound)of ammonium sulfate every year. You could apply this in
spring only or you could split the amount into two applications - one in
early spring just as buds break and again in early summer.
The best time to prune is in spring before the tree leaves dormancy but
after the coldest part of winter is past. However, it's better to prune late
than never at all, up until July. Past then, you should do only very minimal
pruning or none at all, to avoid prompting re-sprouting that will deplete
the tree's energy reserves before it goes dormant again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have purchased a few acres in summit county at about 9500 feet elevation. The property is in the middle of a meadow, with no natural trees. I would like to plant some evergreen seedlings. Will they grow? I am wondering why the meadow would not already have these types of trees, if they would in fact grow there. Can you recommend the best type of tree for success, or am I better off saving my money? There are evergreens growing all around the meadow a few hundred yards away. Thanks.
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?