Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
Spring and early summer are the times of year most commonly recommended
for fertilizing. Most of the time, most trees only need nitrogen. A soil
analysis will tell you if phosphorous or potassium should be added. The
general rule of thumb is to apply one-eighth to one-quarter pound actual
nitrogen per year for every inch of trunk diameter. So, a tree with a trunk
about 2 inches wide (diameter at breast height)should get about 10 ounces
(five-eighths pound)of ammonium sulfate every year. You could apply this in
spring only or you could split the amount into two applications - one in
early spring just as buds break and again in early summer.
The best time to prune is in spring before the tree leaves dormancy but
after the coldest part of winter is past. However, it's better to prune late
than never at all, up until July. Past then, you should do only very minimal
pruning or none at all, to avoid prompting re-sprouting that will deplete
the tree's energy reserves before it goes dormant again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?
- We recently replaced our driveway and it now within a foot of two 10 year old Linden trees. Are the trees too close to the driveway? Will the root system eventually break up the concrete?
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?