Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
Spring and early summer are the times of year most commonly recommended
for fertilizing. Most of the time, most trees only need nitrogen. A soil
analysis will tell you if phosphorous or potassium should be added. The
general rule of thumb is to apply one-eighth to one-quarter pound actual
nitrogen per year for every inch of trunk diameter. So, a tree with a trunk
about 2 inches wide (diameter at breast height)should get about 10 ounces
(five-eighths pound)of ammonium sulfate every year. You could apply this in
spring only or you could split the amount into two applications - one in
early spring just as buds break and again in early summer.
The best time to prune is in spring before the tree leaves dormancy but
after the coldest part of winter is past. However, it's better to prune late
than never at all, up until July. Past then, you should do only very minimal
pruning or none at all, to avoid prompting re-sprouting that will deplete
the tree's energy reserves before it goes dormant again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- I have two new flowering pear trees that are being used as breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am not sure what is eating them the leaves have large scallops taken out of them. The lower branches have been affected more than the top ones. Any ideas?
- I want to plant 4 fruit trees along the border of my garden. How much space must I give each tree between the brick wall border and between each tree? I am not sure if I should plant a semi-dwarf or dwarf tree for apricots and peaches but I would like a regular sized apple tree. Also, can Gala Apple trees grow here in Utah?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?