Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
Rate This FAQ
Aerating in the spring and/or fall can be very beneficial in compacted areas
or areas with excessive amounts of thatch. Aerating enhances the movement
of air and water though the soil and improves conditions for plant roots.
As for your thatch question, how much thatch is there? As much as 0.5
inches is fine. If you are working with a home lawn, I would not recommend
power raking except in cases of EXTREME thatch buildup (i.e. 2 inches or
more). Power raking is actually quite stressful for the grass since large
amounts of healthy roots are also pulled up. If you feel that some action
is necessary, I would recommend aerating in spring and fall with a core
aerator as a start.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?