Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am wrapping up my garden for the year. I have been looking at adding horse manure to my garden soil to boost the organic matter in it. This year I added NutriMulch (turkey manure blend) and that worked out well, but was expensive. I'm concerned about the soil quality. I notice that it's pretty hard when in big dry clods. Would I be hurting my garden to add green horse manure now, and tilling it in? I've read a little about deficiencies in the soil because of too much horse manure, so if it's safe or even a good idea to add to a garden, how much is the right amount?
Rate This FAQ
If you have an inexpensive source of organic matter (such as barnyard
waste), fall is the best time of year to add it to your garden. Added in
fall, salts that are typically high in manure can leach down through the
soil and deeper than the root zone (if we have enough rain and snowmelt).
Shredded leaves and other yard waste could be added now, too, and by spring
it will be broken down fairly well. It's getting late to plant a cover crop,
but a green manure crop like winter wheat, oats, vetch, clover, or winter
peas is an excellent way to sustain soil microbial life and activity through
winter, as well as preventing soil surface crusting or erosion.
You should probably limit the amount of manure added to about 4 inches
deep. Ideally, you will incorporate it to a depth twice as deep as the
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Dayton,Id. I seem to have a lot of trouble with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. What could I be doing wrong? To much water not enough or wrong fertilizer? Need suggestions.
- You might be a gardener if...
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- I left my carrots in the ground over winter this year without mulching them. Now it is May and they have resumed growing. We pulled a few out and, other than a little bit of woodiness they seem to be okay. Is it safe to eat carrots that have been left so long in the ground with no mulch?
- My squash plants turned white and wilted this summer. What happened?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?