Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
Rate This FAQ
I am writing in response to your question on Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris). This is a pernicious annual weed that has preyed upon many an unfortunate child’s’ bike tire. Because the weed is an annual, it completes its life cycle in one growing season (seed to seed). Yellow flowers cover the ground hugging plant throughout the summer months. These flowers, once pollinated, produce those notorious spiny bur-like fruit which in turn give way to next problematic plants. The seeds of puncturevine can remain dormant in the soil for up to 5 years.
The good news is that because the weed is an annual, control is possible with persistence. During the late summer and fall months, removing the plants while the seeds are still intact offers the best control. Try to remove as much of the seed supply from the site as possible. The following spring, physically remove the small seedlings as they appear. Using a good hoe or shovel early on proves to be very effective against annual weeds.
There are chemical control options as well. A few pre-emergent herbicides, such as products containing trifluralin, oryzalin, or benefin can provide partial control of germinating seeds. Post-emergent herbicides such as 2,4-D and glyphosate may also be used to control the plants once established. 2,4-D is a widely available broadleaf herbicide used to control weeds in lawn settings. Be careful not to spray 2,4-D if the temperatures are going to be above 85 degrees. Glyphosate is the active ingredient of Roundup and other non-selective herbicides. Non-selective meaning it will kill almost any plant with green tissue, so care needs to be given around other plant material. As with all chemicals be sure to read and follow the labeled instructions
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- Do you have information on soil testing?
- Our scrub oak is taking over our view, but efforts to trim have resulted in visible cuts and dead branches near the cuts. Do we need a professional, or can it be done well by a lay person?