Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
Rate This FAQ
Using a delayed dormant oil is an effective control for several small pests, such as aphids, mites and scale. You want to apply the spray before the blossoms open so that you kill the eggs before they hatch as the temperature gets warmer. Also, if you wait until after the blossoms open, and if you have included an insecticide with the oil, you could seriously hurt or kill the pollinators that come to pollinate the flowers. If you spray when the blossoms are open, the oil may damage the blossoms and prevent fertilization of the flower which could diminish your fruit production.
I hope this information will be of help to you
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- Our bosic pear tree bears lots of sweet juicy fruit however they have an area around the core that seems to be gritty which makes canning difficult after cutting that part of the fruit out there isn't much left. How can we correct this problem with out fruit.
- I have purchased a few acres in summit county at about 9500 feet elevation. The property is in the middle of a meadow, with no natural trees. I would like to plant some evergreen seedlings. Will they grow? I am wondering why the meadow would not already have these types of trees, if they would in fact grow there. Can you recommend the best type of tree for success, or am I better off saving my money? There are evergreens growing all around the meadow a few hundred yards away. Thanks.
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- When should I spray my apple trees?