Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
Rate This FAQ
Using a delayed dormant oil is an effective control for several small pests, such as aphids, mites and scale. You want to apply the spray before the blossoms open so that you kill the eggs before they hatch as the temperature gets warmer. Also, if you wait until after the blossoms open, and if you have included an insecticide with the oil, you could seriously hurt or kill the pollinators that come to pollinate the flowers. If you spray when the blossoms are open, the oil may damage the blossoms and prevent fertilization of the flower which could diminish your fruit production.
I hope this information will be of help to you
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- I have a peach tree that I want to save - it's almost completely dead because of borers. There are some healthy branches on it still, and I'm wondering about the possibility of grafting some of this stock onto another peach tree I have. Where can I find out how to do this?
- When I first moved here, my peach tree was unhealthy and barely alive. With regular irrigation from the water that comes down from Cedar Breaks National Monument and all the minerals, it has become very healthy with good fruit. Now it looks like it used to - fruit, but hardly any leaves. Could it be the drastic changes in weather one week in April after Easter - 75 degrees one day, gale force winds the next, then freezing rain and snow, all during bloom time?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?