Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
Rate This FAQ
Let's address these two problems separately.
Salt Cedar also known as Tamarisk is best controlled during the next
month (October to early November) with a systemic weed killer. Young
trees up to an inch in diameter can be sprayed with "Round Up" active
ingredient (Glyphosate). Large trees should be sawed off about a foot
from the ground and the fresh cut stump should be treated immediately
(asap) with same chemical. See label and use the high rate of product,
not the "ready mix" product.
Cheatgrass is an annual grass. I will try to forward you an address for
a fact sheet about it. To really get on top of it apply pre-emergent
weed control such as Treflan or Plateau in the spring or late fall
before it comes up and mow in the summer those that do come up before
they go to seed. Not all of these products will likely be available to
homeowners. If you have more questions after you see the fact sheet give
me call or send me another email.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?
- What is anthracnose?
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?