Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
Rate This FAQ
Let's address these two problems separately.
Salt Cedar also known as Tamarisk is best controlled during the next
month (October to early November) with a systemic weed killer. Young
trees up to an inch in diameter can be sprayed with "Round Up" active
ingredient (Glyphosate). Large trees should be sawed off about a foot
from the ground and the fresh cut stump should be treated immediately
(asap) with same chemical. See label and use the high rate of product,
not the "ready mix" product.
Cheatgrass is an annual grass. I will try to forward you an address for
a fact sheet about it. To really get on top of it apply pre-emergent
weed control such as Treflan or Plateau in the spring or late fall
before it comes up and mow in the summer those that do come up before
they go to seed. Not all of these products will likely be available to
homeowners. If you have more questions after you see the fact sheet give
me call or send me another email.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.