Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
Rate This FAQ
Let's address these two problems separately.
Salt Cedar also known as Tamarisk is best controlled during the next
month (October to early November) with a systemic weed killer. Young
trees up to an inch in diameter can be sprayed with "Round Up" active
ingredient (Glyphosate). Large trees should be sawed off about a foot
from the ground and the fresh cut stump should be treated immediately
(asap) with same chemical. See label and use the high rate of product,
not the "ready mix" product.
Cheatgrass is an annual grass. I will try to forward you an address for
a fact sheet about it. To really get on top of it apply pre-emergent
weed control such as Treflan or Plateau in the spring or late fall
before it comes up and mow in the summer those that do come up before
they go to seed. Not all of these products will likely be available to
homeowners. If you have more questions after you see the fact sheet give
me call or send me another email.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- How do I get rid of wild morning glory?