Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
Rate This FAQ
Let's address these two problems separately.
Salt Cedar also known as Tamarisk is best controlled during the next
month (October to early November) with a systemic weed killer. Young
trees up to an inch in diameter can be sprayed with "Round Up" active
ingredient (Glyphosate). Large trees should be sawed off about a foot
from the ground and the fresh cut stump should be treated immediately
(asap) with same chemical. See label and use the high rate of product,
not the "ready mix" product.
Cheatgrass is an annual grass. I will try to forward you an address for
a fact sheet about it. To really get on top of it apply pre-emergent
weed control such as Treflan or Plateau in the spring or late fall
before it comes up and mow in the summer those that do come up before
they go to seed. Not all of these products will likely be available to
homeowners. If you have more questions after you see the fact sheet give
me call or send me another email.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- Do you have tips for newly planted trees?
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?