Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
Rate This FAQ
Autumn Blaze maples are crosses (hybrids) between red maple (Acer rubrum) and silver maple (Acer saccharinum) that are known for good fall color. The fall color is the best part of it. The less-good parts are its fast growth, which is a blessing early and can be a curse later if you don't have room and because it will be somewhat weak-wooded, and it's tendency to show a little bit of iron chlorosis (yellowish in summer). It also is not particularly drought tolerant. So, just keep it well-watered in the summer (and through this first fall), and watch for any branch breakage or dead branches and prune accordingly. If your soils have high pH you will see some chlorosis which won't affect the tree's health much but will look more or less yellow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- Our bosic pear tree bears lots of sweet juicy fruit however they have an area around the core that seems to be gritty which makes canning difficult after cutting that part of the fruit out there isn't much left. How can we correct this problem with out fruit.
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?