Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
Rate This FAQ
Autumn Blaze maples are crosses (hybrids) between red maple (Acer rubrum) and silver maple (Acer saccharinum) that are known for good fall color. The fall color is the best part of it. The less-good parts are its fast growth, which is a blessing early and can be a curse later if you don't have room and because it will be somewhat weak-wooded, and it's tendency to show a little bit of iron chlorosis (yellowish in summer). It also is not particularly drought tolerant. So, just keep it well-watered in the summer (and through this first fall), and watch for any branch breakage or dead branches and prune accordingly. If your soils have high pH you will see some chlorosis which won't affect the tree's health much but will look more or less yellow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
- I have a 6year old dwarf braeburn apple tree. It has gotten very tall and a large part of the tree split off in a windstorm. I need to prune it back and am wondering when I can safely do so.
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?