Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
Rate This FAQ
Autumn Blaze maples are crosses (hybrids) between red maple (Acer rubrum) and silver maple (Acer saccharinum) that are known for good fall color. The fall color is the best part of it. The less-good parts are its fast growth, which is a blessing early and can be a curse later if you don't have room and because it will be somewhat weak-wooded, and it's tendency to show a little bit of iron chlorosis (yellowish in summer). It also is not particularly drought tolerant. So, just keep it well-watered in the summer (and through this first fall), and watch for any branch breakage or dead branches and prune accordingly. If your soils have high pH you will see some chlorosis which won't affect the tree's health much but will look more or less yellow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a peach tree that I want to save - it's almost completely dead because of borers. There are some healthy branches on it still, and I'm wondering about the possibility of grafting some of this stock onto another peach tree I have. Where can I find out how to do this?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- When I first moved here, my peach tree was unhealthy and barely alive. With regular irrigation from the water that comes down from Cedar Breaks National Monument and all the minerals, it has become very healthy with good fruit. Now it looks like it used to - fruit, but hardly any leaves. Could it be the drastic changes in weather one week in April after Easter - 75 degrees one day, gale force winds the next, then freezing rain and snow, all during bloom time?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?