Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
Rate This FAQ
Autumn Blaze maples are crosses (hybrids) between red maple (Acer rubrum) and silver maple (Acer saccharinum) that are known for good fall color. The fall color is the best part of it. The less-good parts are its fast growth, which is a blessing early and can be a curse later if you don't have room and because it will be somewhat weak-wooded, and it's tendency to show a little bit of iron chlorosis (yellowish in summer). It also is not particularly drought tolerant. So, just keep it well-watered in the summer (and through this first fall), and watch for any branch breakage or dead branches and prune accordingly. If your soils have high pH you will see some chlorosis which won't affect the tree's health much but will look more or less yellow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?