Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We recently moved to Utah and live in Uintah Highlands. The past couple of weeks we have noticed an incredibly high concentration of a black and red beetle looking flying insect at our windows and on our house. When I say high concentration, I mean too many to count. We are not familiar with these insects and are wondering how we can get rid of them.
Rate This FAQ
USU Extension has a Fact Sheet about Boxelder bugs. You can find it at this link: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-41-06.pdf
These bugs are very difficult to control. Fortunately, they don't harm people, homes, or plants. But they can be a terrible nuisance.
One suggested control is to drown them. Line up some plastic trays underneath the wall where the bugs are congregating, then spray water down the wall so that the bugs are washed down into the trays of water. Because they don't swim well, most of them will be trapped and drowned.
To keep them out of your home, seal all cracks and crevices. You can use sticky traps in windowsills to help catch some.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have, what may be, a rat in my back yard. I have pictures that I could send to you. It is eating my bird food, but other than that, doesn't seem to be a problem....yet. It actually lives next door and comes under my fence to get food (I have a black lab that is in our yard so I think they live next door for their safety). Could you tell me if I need to get rid of it for health...danger...or other reasons? I know our area has rats in the fields (Milcreek area), I just don't feel comfortable with one this close to my house.
- The candle dripped wax onto my table cloth how do I get the stain out?
- How do I keep mice out of my house?
- Do you have snow removal tips?
- I have gnats flying around my house which seem to be coming from my potted plants. What can I do to control these insects?
- Do you have any snow removal tips?
- How can I protect my home from a wildfire?
- I am concerned about hantavirus. What can you tell me?