Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We recently moved to Utah and live in Uintah Highlands. The past couple of weeks we have noticed an incredibly high concentration of a black and red beetle looking flying insect at our windows and on our house. When I say high concentration, I mean too many to count. We are not familiar with these insects and are wondering how we can get rid of them.
Rate This FAQ
USU Extension has a Fact Sheet about Boxelder bugs. You can find it at this link: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-41-06.pdf
These bugs are very difficult to control. Fortunately, they don't harm people, homes, or plants. But they can be a terrible nuisance.
One suggested control is to drown them. Line up some plastic trays underneath the wall where the bugs are congregating, then spray water down the wall so that the bugs are washed down into the trays of water. Because they don't swim well, most of them will be trapped and drowned.
To keep them out of your home, seal all cracks and crevices. You can use sticky traps in windowsills to help catch some.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you please tell me how much more efficient it is to cook with a crock-pot rather than using an oven?
- Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
- We are remodeling our kitchen, and would like to know what is the best kind of stove for canning. I have had to replace several heating elements on my current electric stove because of canning. I usually use a water bath canner, does a gas stove generate enough heat for canning?
- How can I prevent timber theft on my forest property?
- I have gnats flying around my house which seem to be coming from my potted plants. What can I do to control these insects?
- Do you have tips for cutting utility costs?
- How do I prevent my pipes from freezing?
- Do you have tips on table etiquette?