Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We recently moved to Utah and live in Uintah Highlands. The past couple of weeks we have noticed an incredibly high concentration of a black and red beetle looking flying insect at our windows and on our house. When I say high concentration, I mean too many to count. We are not familiar with these insects and are wondering how we can get rid of them.
Rate This FAQ
USU Extension has a Fact Sheet about Boxelder bugs. You can find it at this link: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-41-06.pdf
These bugs are very difficult to control. Fortunately, they don't harm people, homes, or plants. But they can be a terrible nuisance.
One suggested control is to drown them. Line up some plastic trays underneath the wall where the bugs are congregating, then spray water down the wall so that the bugs are washed down into the trays of water. Because they don't swim well, most of them will be trapped and drowned.
To keep them out of your home, seal all cracks and crevices. You can use sticky traps in windowsills to help catch some.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have a list of ingredient substitutions for cooking and baking?
- I want to get rid of spiders inside my house. What do you recommend I spray inside and outside with?
- Tricks for treating halloween stains.
- How do I remove mildew from fabric?
- Do you have tips on table etiquette?
- Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
- How can I snake proof my home?
- How can we promote peace in our home when there is not peace around us?