Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you cover the melon patch at night with a floating row cover to help retain some ground moisture and avoid frost
damage. Floating row cover can be left on all day, but it would be best to remove it so the plants can receive maximum sunlight for faster maturity.
You can buy floating row cover at most of the local garden centers, but you may want to call ahead and be sure the store of your choice has some in stock.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do I pick my watermelon?
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- Tomato tutorial
- We moved here recently into a brand new neighborhood and are just now having a landscape Co. come in and lay sprinklers, top soil and sod. We will be planting bushes and trees. Question: Is it a waste of money, time and effort to try to establish perennials at this late date into virgin soil? Or should I wait until spring to do that part of establishing a flower garden?
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?