Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you cover the melon patch at night with a floating row cover to help retain some ground moisture and avoid frost
damage. Floating row cover can be left on all day, but it would be best to remove it so the plants can receive maximum sunlight for faster maturity.
You can buy floating row cover at most of the local garden centers, but you may want to call ahead and be sure the store of your choice has some in stock.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- How can I stay on top of yard and garden problems?
- Where can I find a vegetable garden planting schedule guide for the Salt Lake Valley area?