Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you cover the melon patch at night with a floating row cover to help retain some ground moisture and avoid frost
damage. Floating row cover can be left on all day, but it would be best to remove it so the plants can receive maximum sunlight for faster maturity.
You can buy floating row cover at most of the local garden centers, but you may want to call ahead and be sure the store of your choice has some in stock.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We moved here recently into a brand new neighborhood and are just now having a landscape Co. come in and lay sprinklers, top soil and sod. We will be planting bushes and trees. Question: Is it a waste of money, time and effort to try to establish perennials at this late date into virgin soil? Or should I wait until spring to do that part of establishing a flower garden?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I left my carrots in the ground over winter this year without mulching them. Now it is May and they have resumed growing. We pulled a few out and, other than a little bit of woodiness they seem to be okay. Is it safe to eat carrots that have been left so long in the ground with no mulch?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?