Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to plant 4 fruit trees along the border of my garden. How much space must I give each tree between the brick wall border and between each tree? I am not sure if I should plant a semi-dwarf or dwarf tree for apricots and peaches but I would like a regular sized apple tree. Also, can Gala Apple trees grow here in Utah?
Rate This FAQ
When planting trees, including fruit trees you always want to keep in mind and plan for the mature tree’s height and spread. You can find this information on the tag that is attached to the tree when you purchase it. Once you know the general height and spread you can choose a variety that will be best suited to your location. Below is a table with basic spacing needs for fruit trees. You can find a more detailed list of spacing needs at http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-841/426-841.html.
Gala apples are rated at a USDA hardiness zone of 5 and are one variety that can be grown successfully in Utah. Others you may want to consider are Cameo, Jonathan, Melrose, or Rome Beauty. If you would like to check the hardiness zone for your specific area you can find a map at the USDA website http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome.
Another useful tool for fruit tree growers is the USU Tree Fruit IPM Advisories. It provides updates on current insect and disease sightings and outbreak predictions, and highlights upcoming concerns for tree fruit growers. A new advisory is posted each week of the growing season. You can find this information at http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- We recently replaced our driveway and it now within a foot of two 10 year old Linden trees. Are the trees too close to the driveway? Will the root system eventually break up the concrete?
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?