Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to plant 4 fruit trees along the border of my garden. How much space must I give each tree between the brick wall border and between each tree? I am not sure if I should plant a semi-dwarf or dwarf tree for apricots and peaches but I would like a regular sized apple tree. Also, can Gala Apple trees grow here in Utah?
Rate This FAQ
When planting trees, including fruit trees you always want to keep in mind and plan for the mature tree’s height and spread. You can find this information on the tag that is attached to the tree when you purchase it. Once you know the general height and spread you can choose a variety that will be best suited to your location. Below is a table with basic spacing needs for fruit trees. You can find a more detailed list of spacing needs at http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-841/426-841.html.
Gala apples are rated at a USDA hardiness zone of 5 and are one variety that can be grown successfully in Utah. Others you may want to consider are Cameo, Jonathan, Melrose, or Rome Beauty. If you would like to check the hardiness zone for your specific area you can find a map at the USDA website http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome.
Another useful tool for fruit tree growers is the USU Tree Fruit IPM Advisories. It provides updates on current insect and disease sightings and outbreak predictions, and highlights upcoming concerns for tree fruit growers. A new advisory is posted each week of the growing season. You can find this information at http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?