Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to plant 4 fruit trees along the border of my garden. How much space must I give each tree between the brick wall border and between each tree? I am not sure if I should plant a semi-dwarf or dwarf tree for apricots and peaches but I would like a regular sized apple tree. Also, can Gala Apple trees grow here in Utah?
Rate This FAQ
When planting trees, including fruit trees you always want to keep in mind and plan for the mature tree’s height and spread. You can find this information on the tag that is attached to the tree when you purchase it. Once you know the general height and spread you can choose a variety that will be best suited to your location. Below is a table with basic spacing needs for fruit trees. You can find a more detailed list of spacing needs at http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-841/426-841.html.
Gala apples are rated at a USDA hardiness zone of 5 and are one variety that can be grown successfully in Utah. Others you may want to consider are Cameo, Jonathan, Melrose, or Rome Beauty. If you would like to check the hardiness zone for your specific area you can find a map at the USDA website http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome.
Another useful tool for fruit tree growers is the USU Tree Fruit IPM Advisories. It provides updates on current insect and disease sightings and outbreak predictions, and highlights upcoming concerns for tree fruit growers. A new advisory is posted each week of the growing season. You can find this information at http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?