Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to plant 4 fruit trees along the border of my garden. How much space must I give each tree between the brick wall border and between each tree? I am not sure if I should plant a semi-dwarf or dwarf tree for apricots and peaches but I would like a regular sized apple tree. Also, can Gala Apple trees grow here in Utah?
Rate This FAQ
When planting trees, including fruit trees you always want to keep in mind and plan for the mature tree’s height and spread. You can find this information on the tag that is attached to the tree when you purchase it. Once you know the general height and spread you can choose a variety that will be best suited to your location. Below is a table with basic spacing needs for fruit trees. You can find a more detailed list of spacing needs at http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-841/426-841.html.
Gala apples are rated at a USDA hardiness zone of 5 and are one variety that can be grown successfully in Utah. Others you may want to consider are Cameo, Jonathan, Melrose, or Rome Beauty. If you would like to check the hardiness zone for your specific area you can find a map at the USDA website http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome.
Another useful tool for fruit tree growers is the USU Tree Fruit IPM Advisories. It provides updates on current insect and disease sightings and outbreak predictions, and highlights upcoming concerns for tree fruit growers. A new advisory is posted each week of the growing season. You can find this information at http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- I have two new flowering pear trees that are being used as breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am not sure what is eating them the leaves have large scallops taken out of them. The lower branches have been affected more than the top ones. Any ideas?
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?