Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the nutritional value of pickled vegetables and how much vit C etc is saved?
Rate This FAQ
Pickled vegetables will lose the same amount of Vitamin C as canned bottled fruits and vegetables. Vitamin C is destroyed by heat. Riboflavin is destroyed by light. So, fresh is best. Fat soluble vitamins are not destroyed with the cooking and light. So, there is no answer for every food. If you have fresh fruit available, it is the best. Frozen and canned fruits make them available all year long and should not be discounted.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I made an apple pumpkin butter and processed it as instructed for 10 minutes in a water bath. There are air bubbles that appeared after processing. The lids have sealed and there were no other problems. Should it still be safe to store and eat?
- Are steam canners safe to use?
- Do I need to use soap and water to clean fresh fruits and vegetables?
- How do I keep my family from getting sick from food poisoning?
- How can I ensure that my drinking water is safe?
- The power went out, is the food in my refrigerator/freezer still o.k. to eat?
- Is it safe to defrost meat on the counter?
- Is there a way to can something that has cooked eggs in it (like lemon curd) and store it safely, unrefridgerated, like bottled jam. (Not just storing it for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.)