Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but it looks like frost is getting the better of them (the vines, not the fruit yet) the past few nights. I plan on using the tomatoes for Chili Sauce. If I pick the green tomatoes are they going to ripen inside? Is there a better way to get them ripened to use for chili sauce?
Rate This FAQ
Pick your green tomatoes. I like to dip them in a 10% bleach solution (9 parts water + 1 part bleach). Let air dry. Place between layers of newspaper. Check them often. The greener ones take longer to ripen than do the ones that are lighter green. Keep them in your house and they will ripen over a period of time. You may even have some to eat in Decenber!
I hope this information will be of help to you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have had some raspberry plants in an area near my house (6' x 12') for over ten years and only in the spring do I try to gently loosen the soil with a gardening fork. I have not added anything other than some fruit oriented fertilizer or Miracle Grow in that time. Half of the section usually produces berries the size of the tip of your little finger and some grow as big as the tip of your thumb. The others are small and crumbly,which is okey of jam but not for visuals or overall production. I read that crumbliness is due to ovary infertility. How do I overcome that? Should I also be doing some thinning? Early this last spring I cut the canes to about three feet high but many of them are now close to eight feet long. What is the best way to deal with excess growth?
- Do you have tips for growing cauliflower and celery?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- Earlier this season we sprayed with Dursban, can we still eat the fruit?
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?