Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
First, now is NOT the time to seed buffalograss. You will need to wait
until next June. Buffalograss is a warm season grass and really prefers
warm temperatures for seeding and germination.
Your soil sounds quite good and the additional compost should help by adding
organic matter and improving soil structure. I would recommend tilling into
the native soil, if you have not done that already. I would suggest that
you get your soil tested to determine if there are any nutrient
deficiencies. You can get a kit and directions for doing this from your
local USU County Extension office.
Please feel free to contact me should you have further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I notice groups of about 4 or 5 pine needles buried into the flower beds and am wondering what type of bug is pulling them into the ground in the fall. They do not get ther naturally because of the way they are sticking out of the ground. Half buried. I am just wondering what creature this might be and do I need to do something about it?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- What is killing my lawn? It was fine in the spring, and now this summer, it is looking dead in patchy spots.
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?