Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
First, now is NOT the time to seed buffalograss. You will need to wait
until next June. Buffalograss is a warm season grass and really prefers
warm temperatures for seeding and germination.
Your soil sounds quite good and the additional compost should help by adding
organic matter and improving soil structure. I would recommend tilling into
the native soil, if you have not done that already. I would suggest that
you get your soil tested to determine if there are any nutrient
deficiencies. You can get a kit and directions for doing this from your
local USU County Extension office.
Please feel free to contact me should you have further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?