Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
First, now is NOT the time to seed buffalograss. You will need to wait
until next June. Buffalograss is a warm season grass and really prefers
warm temperatures for seeding and germination.
Your soil sounds quite good and the additional compost should help by adding
organic matter and improving soil structure. I would recommend tilling into
the native soil, if you have not done that already. I would suggest that
you get your soil tested to determine if there are any nutrient
deficiencies. You can get a kit and directions for doing this from your
local USU County Extension office.
Please feel free to contact me should you have further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- We have a lot of scrub oak around our home. In some spots we have some ground cover and other area are bare. We would like to add a nice ground cover to mix in with the oak in these bare areas. Do you have suggestions for ground cover? Also, in one particular area, we have a large amount of grass growing in the ground cover surrounding the scrub oak. What is the best way to get rid of this grass? Is there a ground cover that can overtake the grass?
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- How can I make my lawnmower safe?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?