Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
First, now is NOT the time to seed buffalograss. You will need to wait
until next June. Buffalograss is a warm season grass and really prefers
warm temperatures for seeding and germination.
Your soil sounds quite good and the additional compost should help by adding
organic matter and improving soil structure. I would recommend tilling into
the native soil, if you have not done that already. I would suggest that
you get your soil tested to determine if there are any nutrient
deficiencies. You can get a kit and directions for doing this from your
local USU County Extension office.
Please feel free to contact me should you have further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- We planted a new yard with several pine trees this last Fall - including sub-alpine, a young cedar, douglas fir, and a couple of sequioa .... along with the traditional small conifer bushes. With the recent wind and the sensitivies of the sub-alpines and sequoia I wanted to be sure that I fertilized, etc., a needed (watered them a little today due to strong winds).
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- How can I make my lawnmower safe?
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).
- I live on 25 acres on the border of Summit and Wasatch Counties at an elevation of 7,000 ft. I need to add some trees to the landscape both evergreen and shade? What are good choices for my high and cold location?