Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
First, now is NOT the time to seed buffalograss. You will need to wait
until next June. Buffalograss is a warm season grass and really prefers
warm temperatures for seeding and germination.
Your soil sounds quite good and the additional compost should help by adding
organic matter and improving soil structure. I would recommend tilling into
the native soil, if you have not done that already. I would suggest that
you get your soil tested to determine if there are any nutrient
deficiencies. You can get a kit and directions for doing this from your
local USU County Extension office.
Please feel free to contact me should you have further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am an architect, working with a client who wants to hydroseed a 2.5 acre parcel for use as a softball field. The area is currently planted in alfalfa. There will be some regrading (both cut and fill) of the field that will be required. The client would still like to hydroseed this year, likely near the end of September. Do we need to call for the alfalfa to be treated with a herbicide? If so, what is the process, and what herbicide should be used? Is there a waiting period between application of the herbicide and the hydroseeding? Must the herbicide be applied to the above-grade plants, or can the site first be cleared, then the herbicide applied to the gound and roots?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- I'm getting ready to plant grass in my back yard either this fall or in the spring. I'm wondering if dwarf fescue will grow well here in Springville, or if I would be better off planting bluegrass? I had dewarf fescue in Southern California and really liked it.
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?