Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
Rate This FAQ
The sourness can be offset using a little sugar. If you do not the flavor of vinegar, lemon juice can be substituted in equal amounts. However, the reverse is not true --vinegar cannot be substituted for lemon juice when lemon juice is indicated in the recipe.
Here is plain tomato juice: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
Here is the tomato vegetable juice blend: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
Without knowing the reasons you feel that the tomato-vegetable juice is not palatable, I cannot offer suggestions to help make it better. If its sour, add a little sugar. If one or more vegetables are disagreeable, use others as mentioned above. You may be consuming it beyond its shelf life. Most tomato products are good for one year and start to lose quality over the next year. After two years they will definitely taste off. If you are drinking it for health reasons and don’t like the flavor at all, there is little I can do to help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?