Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
Rate This FAQ
The sourness can be offset using a little sugar. If you do not the flavor of vinegar, lemon juice can be substituted in equal amounts. However, the reverse is not true --vinegar cannot be substituted for lemon juice when lemon juice is indicated in the recipe.
Here is plain tomato juice: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
Here is the tomato vegetable juice blend: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
Without knowing the reasons you feel that the tomato-vegetable juice is not palatable, I cannot offer suggestions to help make it better. If its sour, add a little sugar. If one or more vegetables are disagreeable, use others as mentioned above. You may be consuming it beyond its shelf life. Most tomato products are good for one year and start to lose quality over the next year. After two years they will definitely taste off. If you are drinking it for health reasons and don’t like the flavor at all, there is little I can do to help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- How much food should I store?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.