Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
Rate This FAQ
The sourness can be offset using a little sugar. If you do not the flavor of vinegar, lemon juice can be substituted in equal amounts. However, the reverse is not true --vinegar cannot be substituted for lemon juice when lemon juice is indicated in the recipe.
Here is plain tomato juice: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
Here is the tomato vegetable juice blend: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
Without knowing the reasons you feel that the tomato-vegetable juice is not palatable, I cannot offer suggestions to help make it better. If its sour, add a little sugar. If one or more vegetables are disagreeable, use others as mentioned above. You may be consuming it beyond its shelf life. Most tomato products are good for one year and start to lose quality over the next year. After two years they will definitely taste off. If you are drinking it for health reasons and don’t like the flavor at all, there is little I can do to help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- Is it save to eat weevil?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.