Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
Rate This FAQ
Pumpkins are in the squash family and are known as winter squash. Winter
squashes typically can be stored through the winter whereas zucchini is a
summer squash that needs to be used soon after harvest.
I am sending you the link to Utah State University publication on Summer and
The pumpkins are ripe and mature when fruits are fully colored, when vines
begin to die back, and when the rind is hard and impervious to scratching
from a fingernail. Mature fruits should be harvested with the stem attached
and stored in cool (50-55ºF), dry conditions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- How do I get rid of the subterranean creature(s) (moles?)that pushing up piles of freshly excavated dirt in all my flower beds and into my sprinkler valve boxes?
- How do I know when to cover tomatoes so the do not freeze?
- How do I control field bind weed?
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane