Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
Rate This FAQ
Pumpkins are in the squash family and are known as winter squash. Winter
squashes typically can be stored through the winter whereas zucchini is a
summer squash that needs to be used soon after harvest.
I am sending you the link to Utah State University publication on Summer and
The pumpkins are ripe and mature when fruits are fully colored, when vines
begin to die back, and when the rind is hard and impervious to scratching
from a fingernail. Mature fruits should be harvested with the stem attached
and stored in cool (50-55ºF), dry conditions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but it looks like frost is getting the better of them (the vines, not the fruit yet) the past few nights. I plan on using the tomatoes for Chili Sauce. If I pick the green tomatoes are they going to ripen inside? Is there a better way to get them ripened to use for chili sauce?
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- What's eating your raspberries besides you?
- I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?