Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure if this is an ornamental pear tree or a fruiting pear tree.
Not knowing all the environmental conditions, the symptoms of leaf fall and
oily sap is not enough information to make a correct diagnosis. If you would
respond with more information including irrigation schedule for tree, age of
tree, any recent (last 2 years) construction within 10 feet of the trees
that might affect the root system would be helpful. Leaf drop is not
typical for this time of year, so I'm guessing it is related to a watering
A syndrome known as gummosis is sometimes associated with pear (Pyrus sp.),
but more common with Prunus (peach, apricot, cherry) species.
The gumming or sap flow is a result of mechanical injury, insect damage,
fungal diseases, or improper growing conditions. Sometimes it happens
because too much water or nitrogen fertilizer has been applied.
You should inspect to see that there are no cankers on the trunks of the
trees that might be harboring disease spores. Check to see that there is no
insect activity. Once you've ruled out those two problems. Gummosis is
typically used to refer to gum produced by a tree or shrubs due to
environmental conditions, not due to a pathogen (disease causing organism)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- We have flowering plum trees in our yard next to the driveway. I would like to stop them from having fruit, is there anything I can spray on them to have them stop producing fruit? If so what is it and when do I spray?
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?
- What dwarf nectarine (or semi-dwarf) will grow well in SL County (on the East Bench)? Also, how much space will it need when fully mature?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?