Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure if this is an ornamental pear tree or a fruiting pear tree.
Not knowing all the environmental conditions, the symptoms of leaf fall and
oily sap is not enough information to make a correct diagnosis. If you would
respond with more information including irrigation schedule for tree, age of
tree, any recent (last 2 years) construction within 10 feet of the trees
that might affect the root system would be helpful. Leaf drop is not
typical for this time of year, so I'm guessing it is related to a watering
A syndrome known as gummosis is sometimes associated with pear (Pyrus sp.),
but more common with Prunus (peach, apricot, cherry) species.
The gumming or sap flow is a result of mechanical injury, insect damage,
fungal diseases, or improper growing conditions. Sometimes it happens
because too much water or nitrogen fertilizer has been applied.
You should inspect to see that there are no cankers on the trunks of the
trees that might be harboring disease spores. Check to see that there is no
insect activity. Once you've ruled out those two problems. Gummosis is
typically used to refer to gum produced by a tree or shrubs due to
environmental conditions, not due to a pathogen (disease causing organism)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?