Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure if this is an ornamental pear tree or a fruiting pear tree.
Not knowing all the environmental conditions, the symptoms of leaf fall and
oily sap is not enough information to make a correct diagnosis. If you would
respond with more information including irrigation schedule for tree, age of
tree, any recent (last 2 years) construction within 10 feet of the trees
that might affect the root system would be helpful. Leaf drop is not
typical for this time of year, so I'm guessing it is related to a watering
A syndrome known as gummosis is sometimes associated with pear (Pyrus sp.),
but more common with Prunus (peach, apricot, cherry) species.
The gumming or sap flow is a result of mechanical injury, insect damage,
fungal diseases, or improper growing conditions. Sometimes it happens
because too much water or nitrogen fertilizer has been applied.
You should inspect to see that there are no cankers on the trunks of the
trees that might be harboring disease spores. Check to see that there is no
insect activity. Once you've ruled out those two problems. Gummosis is
typically used to refer to gum produced by a tree or shrubs due to
environmental conditions, not due to a pathogen (disease causing organism)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?