Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure if this is an ornamental pear tree or a fruiting pear tree.
Not knowing all the environmental conditions, the symptoms of leaf fall and
oily sap is not enough information to make a correct diagnosis. If you would
respond with more information including irrigation schedule for tree, age of
tree, any recent (last 2 years) construction within 10 feet of the trees
that might affect the root system would be helpful. Leaf drop is not
typical for this time of year, so I'm guessing it is related to a watering
A syndrome known as gummosis is sometimes associated with pear (Pyrus sp.),
but more common with Prunus (peach, apricot, cherry) species.
The gumming or sap flow is a result of mechanical injury, insect damage,
fungal diseases, or improper growing conditions. Sometimes it happens
because too much water or nitrogen fertilizer has been applied.
You should inspect to see that there are no cankers on the trunks of the
trees that might be harboring disease spores. Check to see that there is no
insect activity. Once you've ruled out those two problems. Gummosis is
typically used to refer to gum produced by a tree or shrubs due to
environmental conditions, not due to a pathogen (disease causing organism)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?