Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?