Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?