Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- I have a bartlett pear tree. A Limb is almost black, but growth was still coming out of the ends, so i didn't prune it off the tree all the way in the spring. Now other parts of the tree are turning black, some of the leaves are curling and turning black as well as some of the fruit. Can I save the tree, or do I need to pull it out. Also will this spread to my other two nearby peach and apple tree.
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- Our bosic pear tree bears lots of sweet juicy fruit however they have an area around the core that seems to be gritty which makes canning difficult after cutting that part of the fruit out there isn't much left. How can we correct this problem with out fruit.