Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?