Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a peach tree that I want to save - it's almost completely dead because of borers. There are some healthy branches on it still, and I'm wondering about the possibility of grafting some of this stock onto another peach tree I have. Where can I find out how to do this?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- When I first moved here, my peach tree was unhealthy and barely alive. With regular irrigation from the water that comes down from Cedar Breaks National Monument and all the minerals, it has become very healthy with good fruit. Now it looks like it used to - fruit, but hardly any leaves. Could it be the drastic changes in weather one week in April after Easter - 75 degrees one day, gale force winds the next, then freezing rain and snow, all during bloom time?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?