Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- I want to plant 4 fruit trees along the border of my garden. How much space must I give each tree between the brick wall border and between each tree? I am not sure if I should plant a semi-dwarf or dwarf tree for apricots and peaches but I would like a regular sized apple tree. Also, can Gala Apple trees grow here in Utah?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.