Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?