Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- I have a peach tree that I want to save - it's almost completely dead because of borers. There are some healthy branches on it still, and I'm wondering about the possibility of grafting some of this stock onto another peach tree I have. Where can I find out how to do this?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?