Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?