Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
Rate This FAQ
The insect infesting Gamble oak and other trees in northern Utah is the cankerworm. The caterpillars can defoliate the trees when they occur in high numbers such as this year. Most healthy, nonstressed trees will produce a new crop of leaves when the caterpillars have completed their development. For trees in your yard you can spray them with a bacterial insecticide that is specific for caterpillars and nontoxic to mammals.
Products available include those with the active ingedient Bacillus thuringiensis (Dipel, Thuricide, others) and spinosad (Success, Entrust, Conserve). Thorough cov erage of leaves is important because the caterpillars must ingest the insecticide for activity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have flowering plum trees in our yard next to the driveway. I would like to stop them from having fruit, is there anything I can spray on them to have them stop producing fruit? If so what is it and when do I spray?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?