Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
Rate This FAQ
We have a fact sheet on Gambel oak (scrub oak) care available at
you can see, there are many insects and diseases that can affect and
even defoliate Gambel oak. Anthracnose might be what you have seen.
Also, in some years late hard frosts cause the new foliage to become
deformed or to die. I have heard of at least one report of that this
year. Either way, they almost certainly releaf and be fine. There is
nothing you need to do.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- How can I make my lawnmower safe?
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?