Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
Rate This FAQ
We have a fact sheet on Gambel oak (scrub oak) care available at
you can see, there are many insects and diseases that can affect and
even defoliate Gambel oak. Anthracnose might be what you have seen.
Also, in some years late hard frosts cause the new foliage to become
deformed or to die. I have heard of at least one report of that this
year. Either way, they almost certainly releaf and be fine. There is
nothing you need to do.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- When is the best time time to water my lawn? I've heard it's better in the evening because it gives time to soak in and I've heard morning because if you do it at night the lawn will get moldy. Thanks.
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?