Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
Rate This FAQ
More established trees and shrubs have better developed root systems, that can survive drought situations, but still need water during hot summers. The water needs of plants are always dependent on soil type. If it is sandy, or drains quickly, you’ll need to water more often. If your soil has a lot of clay, it may need some organic matter to improve soil drainage. I think basically you’ll need to water more often.
You didn’t specify what type of dogwood you have. There are a few dogwood shrubs. If it is a redosier dogwood (Cornus sericea) or Tartarian dogwood (Cornus alba) both quite adaptable to Utah but prefers moist soil. The need for moisture is also dependent on how long this plant has been established in the landscape. Newly planted trees and shrubs may need water every 1-3 days when first planted, since the root volume is small, and the surface area of the root system is not sufficient to deal with the amount of water transpired (evaporating) from the leaves, especially in hot weather.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- I understand you have a service where you email spraying and care schedules to homeowners for home gardens and fruit trees. If so I would like to sign up. Please send me the info. Thanks, Mike
- When can I cut back my tulips and other spring bulbs?
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.