Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
Rate This FAQ
I don’t know if you tried this link to USU Extension Salt Lake County but this will provide good information on the Salt Lake County Master Gardener program http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/mgprogram
This website has information describing the Master Gardener Volunteer program including projects, training (the 2007 training schedule) and upcoming orientations held in August and September. If you cannot access the above link, I will provide a brief summary of the program. The "Master" does not mean you know everything about gardening. The "Master" in Master Gardener means you are a horticulture volunteer for Utah State University Extension. The purpose of the Utah Master Gardener Program is to develop a network of trained volunteers who can provide the citizens of Utah with research-based information and technical assistance in gardening and home horticulture.
Training to be a Master Gardener in Salt Lake County begins by attending a 90 minute orientation. These orientations are to introduce prospective trainees to the mission of Utah State University Extension, the many volunteer projects where we need volunteers, requirements to become certified, and a Q & A session. After the orientation, those who are interested in the program receive applications. Orientations are usually held in August and September. Applications are reviewed in October and those accepted into the program are notified in November. Classroom training begins in January.
The cost has been $150 for 40 hours of classroom training, with the expectation that 40 hours of volunteer service learning is “paid back” to USU through volunteer hours on the Master Gardener phone line, Plant Diagnostic clinics, and other Master Gardener projects.
Keep an eye on the website for the dates for the orientations, and if you cannot access the website, check back with me in August for dates and locations for orientations. All your questions about the program should be answered by attending one of the orientations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- What's eating your raspberries besides you?
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the planting schedule for Utah. Could you also tell me gardening plants that tend to grow better than others here in Utah? Thank you