Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have had some raspberry plants in an area near my house (6' x 12') for over ten years and only in the spring do I try to gently loosen the soil with a gardening fork. I have not added anything other than some fruit oriented fertilizer or Miracle Grow in that time. Half of the section usually produces berries the size of the tip of your little finger and some grow as big as the tip of your thumb. The others are small and crumbly,which is okey of jam but not for visuals or overall production. I read that crumbliness is due to ovary infertility. How do I overcome that? Should I also be doing some thinning? Early this last spring I cut the canes to about three feet high but many of them are now close to eight feet long. What is the best way to deal with excess growth?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what variety of raspberries you have, but generally, you'll
need to do some thinning and pruning back for better fruit production.
The pruning timing depends on if it is a June-bearing or ever bearing
Fertilizer addition has to be timed properly, otherwise the plant will
push energy into vegetative (leaf) growth and less into fruit production.
The excess growth you refer to I believe is due to over fertilization.
Because these raspberries have been in for awhile, the soil conditions may not
be ideal for good fruit production. High organic matter, good drainage,
and weed free. Sometimes raised beds are preferred to have the good
drainage and high organic matter suitable for raspberries.
Here is a link to a fact sheet on Red Raspberry production that may
help you with produce better berries.
I'm also sending you a link to an article on raspberries
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?