Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
Rate This FAQ
Pesto has approximately a 6 month shelf life in the freezer. If you
package it to exclude as much air as possible, it may last up to 12
months. Over time the oil will oxidize (rancidity). Rancidity produces
off-flavors, but I am not aware of any health issue. I do not think you
got sick from the pesto.
We do recommend that pesto be kept refrigerated for 5-7 days or frozen.
It cannot be safely left out at room temperature.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- Is it save to eat weevil?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- How much food should I store?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?