Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
Rate This FAQ
Pesto has approximately a 6 month shelf life in the freezer. If you
package it to exclude as much air as possible, it may last up to 12
months. Over time the oil will oxidize (rancidity). Rancidity produces
off-flavors, but I am not aware of any health issue. I do not think you
got sick from the pesto.
We do recommend that pesto be kept refrigerated for 5-7 days or frozen.
It cannot be safely left out at room temperature.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?