Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
Rate This FAQ
Pesto has approximately a 6 month shelf life in the freezer. If you
package it to exclude as much air as possible, it may last up to 12
months. Over time the oil will oxidize (rancidity). Rancidity produces
off-flavors, but I am not aware of any health issue. I do not think you
got sick from the pesto.
We do recommend that pesto be kept refrigerated for 5-7 days or frozen.
It cannot be safely left out at room temperature.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is it save to eat weevil?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- How much food should I store?