Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
Rate This FAQ
Pesto has approximately a 6 month shelf life in the freezer. If you
package it to exclude as much air as possible, it may last up to 12
months. Over time the oil will oxidize (rancidity). Rancidity produces
off-flavors, but I am not aware of any health issue. I do not think you
got sick from the pesto.
We do recommend that pesto be kept refrigerated for 5-7 days or frozen.
It cannot be safely left out at room temperature.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???