Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
Rate This FAQ
In the 1980's several researchers studied the effects of cultivars on final acidity of canned tomatoes. Essentially, they found that the cultivar (even ones described as "low acid") did not appreciably affect the final pH when USDA recommendations to add lemon juice or citric acid are followed.
So, the short answer is that it is safe to use the Ace 55 cultivar (or other "low acid" tomato cultivars) as long as the standard USDA recommendation for adding acid is followed:
Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced tomatoes, add two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use one tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added directly to the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes.
Acidification reference - USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
THOMAS J. MONTVILLE, LUCILLE K. CONWAY, and GERALD M. SAPERS. (1983) Inherent Variability in the Efficacy of the USDA Raw-Pack Process for Home-Canned Tomatoes. Journal of Food Science 48:6, 1591–1593
S. R. DRAKE and L. G. PRICE. (1982) pH AND QUALITY OF HOME-CANNED TOMATO-VEGETABLE MIXTURES1. Journal of Food Quality 5:2, 145–153
G. M. SAPERS, J. G. PHILLIPS, F. B. TALLEY, O. PANASIUK and J. CARRE. (1978) ACIDULATION OF HOME CANNED TOMATOES. Journal of Food Science 43:4, 1049–1052
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- How do I get rid of the subterranean creature(s) (moles?)that pushing up piles of freshly excavated dirt in all my flower beds and into my sprinkler valve boxes?
- How do I store my summer bulbs?