Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
Rate This FAQ
In the 1980's several researchers studied the effects of cultivars on final acidity of canned tomatoes. Essentially, they found that the cultivar (even ones described as "low acid") did not appreciably affect the final pH when USDA recommendations to add lemon juice or citric acid are followed.
So, the short answer is that it is safe to use the Ace 55 cultivar (or other "low acid" tomato cultivars) as long as the standard USDA recommendation for adding acid is followed:
Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced tomatoes, add two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use one tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added directly to the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes.
Acidification reference - USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
THOMAS J. MONTVILLE, LUCILLE K. CONWAY, and GERALD M. SAPERS. (1983) Inherent Variability in the Efficacy of the USDA Raw-Pack Process for Home-Canned Tomatoes. Journal of Food Science 48:6, 1591–1593
S. R. DRAKE and L. G. PRICE. (1982) pH AND QUALITY OF HOME-CANNED TOMATO-VEGETABLE MIXTURES1. Journal of Food Quality 5:2, 145–153
G. M. SAPERS, J. G. PHILLIPS, F. B. TALLEY, O. PANASIUK and J. CARRE. (1978) ACIDULATION OF HOME CANNED TOMATOES. Journal of Food Science 43:4, 1049–1052
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- You might be a gardener if...
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.