Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
Rate This FAQ
In the 1980's several researchers studied the effects of cultivars on final acidity of canned tomatoes. Essentially, they found that the cultivar (even ones described as "low acid") did not appreciably affect the final pH when USDA recommendations to add lemon juice or citric acid are followed.
So, the short answer is that it is safe to use the Ace 55 cultivar (or other "low acid" tomato cultivars) as long as the standard USDA recommendation for adding acid is followed:
Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced tomatoes, add two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use one tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added directly to the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes.
Acidification reference - USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how
THOMAS J. MONTVILLE, LUCILLE K. CONWAY, and GERALD M. SAPERS. (1983) Inherent Variability in the Efficacy of the USDA Raw-Pack Process for Home-Canned Tomatoes. Journal of Food Science 48:6, 1591–1593
S. R. DRAKE and L. G. PRICE. (1982) pH AND QUALITY OF HOME-CANNED TOMATO-VEGETABLE MIXTURES1. Journal of Food Quality 5:2, 145–153
G. M. SAPERS, J. G. PHILLIPS, F. B. TALLEY, O. PANASIUK and J. CARRE. (1978) ACIDULATION OF HOME CANNED TOMATOES. Journal of Food Science 43:4, 1049–1052
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do I pick my watermelon?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- I have a poinsettia that is about three years old. The first year it bloomed beautifully, then last year and now this year, just before the holidays, the leaves wither and fall off. I have not changed anything carewise. It is in an ideal place, gets plenty of dark hours, no drafts, filtered sun, and just enough water. Why is it doing this?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
- Tomato tutorial