Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
Rate This FAQ
There are several sterilants available. You need to be very careful
where you use them.
Tordon is a restricted use sterilant that will move in water.
If tree roots from the neighbors reaches into the treated area they will
die. At low rates it is labeled for use on pastures and will not kill
the grass. If you plan on growing alfalfa or ornamentals on this land
in the next 5 or 6 years this is not a product that you should consider.
Weed Blast or Sterilan are sold at Dallas Green Farm Supply and
IFA respectively. They are not as mobile in the soil, but can still
kill trees or shrubs who's roots reach into the area where they have
Pramitol moves easily in water. If surface water runs off site
it will take the Pramitol with it and kill plants that it contacts.
With all sterilants the persistence is largely dependant upon the rate
applied. Weeds are usually the first plants to come back and will need
to be delt with. If you plan on using the land for planting in the
future you may want to look at herbicides that have a shorter
persistence like a mixture of Roundup, for burn down, Surflan & Treflan
as pre-emergent products. That mix would control weeds for a year. A
spring application before the weeds get very large would probably be the
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- I notice groups of about 4 or 5 pine needles buried into the flower beds and am wondering what type of bug is pulling them into the ground in the fall. They do not get ther naturally because of the way they are sticking out of the ground. Half buried. I am just wondering what creature this might be and do I need to do something about it?
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?