Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
Rate This FAQ
There are several sterilants available. You need to be very careful
where you use them.
Tordon is a restricted use sterilant that will move in water.
If tree roots from the neighbors reaches into the treated area they will
die. At low rates it is labeled for use on pastures and will not kill
the grass. If you plan on growing alfalfa or ornamentals on this land
in the next 5 or 6 years this is not a product that you should consider.
Weed Blast or Sterilan are sold at Dallas Green Farm Supply and
IFA respectively. They are not as mobile in the soil, but can still
kill trees or shrubs who's roots reach into the area where they have
Pramitol moves easily in water. If surface water runs off site
it will take the Pramitol with it and kill plants that it contacts.
With all sterilants the persistence is largely dependant upon the rate
applied. Weeds are usually the first plants to come back and will need
to be delt with. If you plan on using the land for planting in the
future you may want to look at herbicides that have a shorter
persistence like a mixture of Roundup, for burn down, Surflan & Treflan
as pre-emergent products. That mix would control weeds for a year. A
spring application before the weeds get very large would probably be the
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- I want to switch my current lawn (bluegrass with some bermudagrass infestation) to a low-water and low-growth grass. I have a front lawn that's in shade most of the day, and the back lawn is mostly in sun. Will dwarf tall fescue work in this situation? Do you have any recommendations for the best DTF variety(s) to use? Also, will the bermudagrass be able to survive on less water and compete with the fescue?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?