Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
Rate This FAQ
There are several sterilants available. You need to be very careful
where you use them.
Tordon is a restricted use sterilant that will move in water.
If tree roots from the neighbors reaches into the treated area they will
die. At low rates it is labeled for use on pastures and will not kill
the grass. If you plan on growing alfalfa or ornamentals on this land
in the next 5 or 6 years this is not a product that you should consider.
Weed Blast or Sterilan are sold at Dallas Green Farm Supply and
IFA respectively. They are not as mobile in the soil, but can still
kill trees or shrubs who's roots reach into the area where they have
Pramitol moves easily in water. If surface water runs off site
it will take the Pramitol with it and kill plants that it contacts.
With all sterilants the persistence is largely dependant upon the rate
applied. Weeds are usually the first plants to come back and will need
to be delt with. If you plan on using the land for planting in the
future you may want to look at herbicides that have a shorter
persistence like a mixture of Roundup, for burn down, Surflan & Treflan
as pre-emergent products. That mix would control weeds for a year. A
spring application before the weeds get very large would probably be the
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
- I have a large Pinion pine that we trimmed back the lower branches on last fall, The grass is not doing well there due to limited light, could I add a flower bed there instead, and if so what type of plants would do well in my VERY clay soil. Also isnt' there something about not planting flowers over/next to a tree trunk? thanks
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- Do you have tips for success with African violets?