Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
Rate This FAQ
There are several sterilants available. You need to be very careful
where you use them.
Tordon is a restricted use sterilant that will move in water.
If tree roots from the neighbors reaches into the treated area they will
die. At low rates it is labeled for use on pastures and will not kill
the grass. If you plan on growing alfalfa or ornamentals on this land
in the next 5 or 6 years this is not a product that you should consider.
Weed Blast or Sterilan are sold at Dallas Green Farm Supply and
IFA respectively. They are not as mobile in the soil, but can still
kill trees or shrubs who's roots reach into the area where they have
Pramitol moves easily in water. If surface water runs off site
it will take the Pramitol with it and kill plants that it contacts.
With all sterilants the persistence is largely dependant upon the rate
applied. Weeds are usually the first plants to come back and will need
to be delt with. If you plan on using the land for planting in the
future you may want to look at herbicides that have a shorter
persistence like a mixture of Roundup, for burn down, Surflan & Treflan
as pre-emergent products. That mix would control weeds for a year. A
spring application before the weeds get very large would probably be the
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
- We planted a new yard with several pine trees this last Fall - including sub-alpine, a young cedar, douglas fir, and a couple of sequioa .... along with the traditional small conifer bushes. With the recent wind and the sensitivies of the sub-alpines and sequoia I wanted to be sure that I fertilized, etc., a needed (watered them a little today due to strong winds).
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?