Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
Rate This FAQ
It is not common for apples to sucker all over the yard. Normally they are confined to the area around the base of the tree and then they are simply pruned back every year. One problem with killing the suckers is it may damage the tree. Roundup is usually effective against these suckers. You may need to add a sticker/spreader in the solution to get better penetration. You can also try a chemical called triclopyr (sold as brush-b-gon). Be careful, this can damage or even kill the apple tree.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.