Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
Rate This FAQ
This is a common defect in raw pack. Fruits and tomatoes suffer this same problem. What happened was the floating fruit helped some of the syrup to boil out during processing. Also, the air inside the fruit is being vacuumed out and the space is filled with syrup - further dropping the liquid level.
Providing the seal is fine the peaches have been safely processed. I would consume these first, since the fruit above the brine will lose quality quicker during storage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- What can I store water in?
- Is it save to eat weevil?