Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
Rate This FAQ
Pears are best when they are ripened off the tree (except Asian varieties). Fruit left on the tree will not have a good flavor or texture. Pick fruit when it is mature, hard and green, or cut it open and see if the seeds are turning from white to brown/black, if they are it is time to harvest them and allow them to finish ripening off the tree. To harvest pears lift up the fruit gently (do not twist or pull), if the stem does not separate easily from the branch, allow the fruit to remain on the tree a few more days. Winter varieties usually need about six weeks of cold storage before they are ripe.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- We recently replaced our driveway and it now within a foot of two 10 year old Linden trees. Are the trees too close to the driveway? Will the root system eventually break up the concrete?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- I have a 6year old dwarf braeburn apple tree. It has gotten very tall and a large part of the tree split off in a windstorm. I need to prune it back and am wondering when I can safely do so.
- I have a peach tree that I want to save - it's almost completely dead because of borers. There are some healthy branches on it still, and I'm wondering about the possibility of grafting some of this stock onto another peach tree I have. Where can I find out how to do this?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?