Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
Rate This FAQ
Pears are best when they are ripened off the tree (except Asian varieties). Fruit left on the tree will not have a good flavor or texture. Pick fruit when it is mature, hard and green, or cut it open and see if the seeds are turning from white to brown/black, if they are it is time to harvest them and allow them to finish ripening off the tree. To harvest pears lift up the fruit gently (do not twist or pull), if the stem does not separate easily from the branch, allow the fruit to remain on the tree a few more days. Winter varieties usually need about six weeks of cold storage before they are ripe.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?