Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do you have a safe tomato salsa recipe that incorporates green peppers?
Rate This FAQ
I have a recipe that I personally researched at the University of Georgia. Unfortunately, they have not yet published it.
Per pint jar: 1 part Roma tomatoes (only Roma were researched) approx 8 oz. by weight (Boil 1 minute, then plunge in cold water to loosen skin. Slip skins off.). Cut into 1/2 inch pieces or smaller.
1 part any combination of onions and peppers (sweet or hot) approx 8 oz. by weight. Dice into 1/4 inch pieces.
Up to 1 tablespoon total of dry spice. We used 1/4 tsp salt and in one batch 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
Heat in a saucepan for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice into a pint jar. Fill with cooked salsa to 1/2 of top. Heat in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a recipe for chili sauce that has tomatoes, onion, sugar, and spices. After it has cooked down, I just put it in hot jars and put the canning lids on. Is that okay, or do I need to process in a boiling water bath?
- How many tomatoes, potatoes, etc. in a pound?
- Are Artificial Sweeteners Safe?
- How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- I live in Provo Canyon and want a peach tree that grows big, wonderful, juicy, beautiful peaches (not so much for canning but for deserts). Do you have a recommendation?
- What's round and orange, has a wicked smile and great health benefits?
- Do you have tips on food safety after a flood?