Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
Rate This FAQ
Utah's soil is naturally low in organic matter with high pH and a high buffering capacity. Blueberries prefer acid soil with lots of organic matter in it. Because it is so difficult to provide their preferred soil conditions, blueberries are rarely grown here in Utah.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- We have planted tomato plants and used “Miracle Grow” the plants are big and healthy and have many blossoms but no tomatoes have as yet began to grow, we have seen different kinds of bees pollinating the blossoms at times. I have never had this happen before can you give us some advice concerning this? Thanks, Lewis Draney
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?