Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
Rate This FAQ
Utah's soil is naturally low in organic matter with high pH and a high buffering capacity. Blueberries prefer acid soil with lots of organic matter in it. Because it is so difficult to provide their preferred soil conditions, blueberries are rarely grown here in Utah.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- What is the shelf life of fertilizer? I have some bags that have been stored in an outside shed and wondered whether they can be used or should be discarded.
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- I still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but it looks like frost is getting the better of them (the vines, not the fruit yet) the past few nights. I plan on using the tomatoes for Chili Sauce. If I pick the green tomatoes are they going to ripen inside? Is there a better way to get them ripened to use for chili sauce?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?