Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
Rate This FAQ
Pectin has an expiration date on the box. It is recommended to use it within one year or before the expiration date. It's not so much that it will hurt you, (meaning causing problems with food safety) it's more that the quality of the pectin decreases once the expiration date has passed. The jam/jelly or whatever product you may be making will not gel as well, in short, the pectin won't work like it's designed to.
If you'd like more information, check out the following website:
It provides links to another state's extension website and a USDA website that go into further details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- How long can I keep stored foods?