Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
Rate This FAQ
Pectin has an expiration date on the box. It is recommended to use it within one year or before the expiration date. It's not so much that it will hurt you, (meaning causing problems with food safety) it's more that the quality of the pectin decreases once the expiration date has passed. The jam/jelly or whatever product you may be making will not gel as well, in short, the pectin won't work like it's designed to.
If you'd like more information, check out the following website:
It provides links to another state's extension website and a USDA website that go into further details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- How much food should I store?
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- What can I store water in?