Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
Rate This FAQ
Pectin has an expiration date on the box. It is recommended to use it within one year or before the expiration date. It's not so much that it will hurt you, (meaning causing problems with food safety) it's more that the quality of the pectin decreases once the expiration date has passed. The jam/jelly or whatever product you may be making will not gel as well, in short, the pectin won't work like it's designed to.
If you'd like more information, check out the following website:
It provides links to another state's extension website and a USDA website that go into further details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- Is it save to eat weevil?
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?