Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
Rate This FAQ
Pectin has an expiration date on the box. It is recommended to use it within one year or before the expiration date. It's not so much that it will hurt you, (meaning causing problems with food safety) it's more that the quality of the pectin decreases once the expiration date has passed. The jam/jelly or whatever product you may be making will not gel as well, in short, the pectin won't work like it's designed to.
If you'd like more information, check out the following website:
It provides links to another state's extension website and a USDA website that go into further details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- Where should I put my food storage?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?