Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
Rate This FAQ
Pectin has an expiration date on the box. It is recommended to use it within one year or before the expiration date. It's not so much that it will hurt you, (meaning causing problems with food safety) it's more that the quality of the pectin decreases once the expiration date has passed. The jam/jelly or whatever product you may be making will not gel as well, in short, the pectin won't work like it's designed to.
If you'd like more information, check out the following website:
It provides links to another state's extension website and a USDA website that go into further details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- How much water should I store?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?