Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like you have a couple of different problems with your peach tree. Without actually seeing the peaches myself I can only make an educated guess. The spots on the peaches could be coryneum blight, also called shothole disease. This is more common on apricots but is also seen on peach trees. It is a fungal infection. You should completely remove all the fallen leaves this fall. Then spray your tree thoroughly with a fungicide like Bordeaux mixture, fixed copper sulfate, captan or ziram. Also check the twigs and branches carefully for any bark lesions that have a reddish or purple margin around the canker. This twigs must be pruned out. Do not leave the prunings under the tree- discard them.
The split pit can be related to the variety of peach (some are more prone to it than others) or to summer heat and moisture stress. Once the pit splits, fungal growth around the split pit can cause the spots that you are seeing. Make sure you water your tree very deeply about once every one to two weeks, depending on the weather. Avoid watering frequently. Fruit trees do not tolerate frequent watering very well.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?