Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like you have a couple of different problems with your peach tree. Without actually seeing the peaches myself I can only make an educated guess. The spots on the peaches could be coryneum blight, also called shothole disease. This is more common on apricots but is also seen on peach trees. It is a fungal infection. You should completely remove all the fallen leaves this fall. Then spray your tree thoroughly with a fungicide like Bordeaux mixture, fixed copper sulfate, captan or ziram. Also check the twigs and branches carefully for any bark lesions that have a reddish or purple margin around the canker. This twigs must be pruned out. Do not leave the prunings under the tree- discard them.
The split pit can be related to the variety of peach (some are more prone to it than others) or to summer heat and moisture stress. Once the pit splits, fungal growth around the split pit can cause the spots that you are seeing. Make sure you water your tree very deeply about once every one to two weeks, depending on the weather. Avoid watering frequently. Fruit trees do not tolerate frequent watering very well.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- I have a bartlett pear tree. A Limb is almost black, but growth was still coming out of the ends, so i didn't prune it off the tree all the way in the spring. Now other parts of the tree are turning black, some of the leaves are curling and turning black as well as some of the fruit. Can I save the tree, or do I need to pull it out. Also will this spread to my other two nearby peach and apple tree.
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- What dwarf nectarine (or semi-dwarf) will grow well in SL County (on the East Bench)? Also, how much space will it need when fully mature?