Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like you have a couple of different problems with your peach tree. Without actually seeing the peaches myself I can only make an educated guess. The spots on the peaches could be coryneum blight, also called shothole disease. This is more common on apricots but is also seen on peach trees. It is a fungal infection. You should completely remove all the fallen leaves this fall. Then spray your tree thoroughly with a fungicide like Bordeaux mixture, fixed copper sulfate, captan or ziram. Also check the twigs and branches carefully for any bark lesions that have a reddish or purple margin around the canker. This twigs must be pruned out. Do not leave the prunings under the tree- discard them.
The split pit can be related to the variety of peach (some are more prone to it than others) or to summer heat and moisture stress. Once the pit splits, fungal growth around the split pit can cause the spots that you are seeing. Make sure you water your tree very deeply about once every one to two weeks, depending on the weather. Avoid watering frequently. Fruit trees do not tolerate frequent watering very well.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?