Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
Rate This FAQ
Fescue grasses have been shown to be more drought tolerant than Kentucky bluegrass in Utah research trials . I have attached a publication from USU on Turf Grass Variety Recommendations for Utah. It has several sources for seed listed at the end. For sod, I would suggest you check in the yellow pages of the local telephone directory for sod farms and ask them if the have the type of turf you are looking for. If they do not, then you might have to seed it yourself and save some money.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?