Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
Rate This FAQ
Fescue grasses have been shown to be more drought tolerant than Kentucky bluegrass in Utah research trials . I have attached a publication from USU on Turf Grass Variety Recommendations for Utah. It has several sources for seed listed at the end. For sod, I would suggest you check in the yellow pages of the local telephone directory for sod farms and ask them if the have the type of turf you are looking for. If they do not, then you might have to seed it yourself and save some money.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- Do you test soil?
- I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- What is anthracnose?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?