Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
Rate This FAQ
Fescue grasses have been shown to be more drought tolerant than Kentucky bluegrass in Utah research trials . I have attached a publication from USU on Turf Grass Variety Recommendations for Utah. It has several sources for seed listed at the end. For sod, I would suggest you check in the yellow pages of the local telephone directory for sod farms and ask them if the have the type of turf you are looking for. If they do not, then you might have to seed it yourself and save some money.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My lawn is really struggling with the heat and drought. Is there a point when it just won't recover?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?