Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
Rate This FAQ
Fescue grasses have been shown to be more drought tolerant than Kentucky bluegrass in Utah research trials . I have attached a publication from USU on Turf Grass Variety Recommendations for Utah. It has several sources for seed listed at the end. For sod, I would suggest you check in the yellow pages of the local telephone directory for sod farms and ask them if the have the type of turf you are looking for. If they do not, then you might have to seed it yourself and save some money.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?