Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
Rate This FAQ
The fruit can be ripened on the tree, but for better quality,
they are best picked early and allowed to ripen indoors. A few guidelines to
use in determining whether pears are ready to be picked include: healthy
fruits begin to drop; there is a change in fruit color from green to yellow;
and the stem separates easily from the branch. To pick pears, grasp the
fruit firmly and twist or roll it to make the stem separate from the tree.
Give the pears the "lift test." Put your index finger on the stem, lift the
pear from the normal vertical orientation to a horizontal or flat position,
perhaps with a slight twist. If the fruit "snaps" off cleanly between the
stem and the twig, the pears are ready to strip from the tree. If you have
to wrench off the fruit either breaking the twig or the fruit stem, the
fruit is probably not ready. On larger trees, fruit growing in the top often
ripens earlier than fruit in the shaded interior.
If pears are picked before they are fully ripe, they should be ripened at a
temperature of 60° to 70°F. This will result in optimum quality and
smoothness of flesh. If you want to keep pears for a longer period of time,
store the freshly picked fruit in the refrigerator.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We recently replaced our driveway and it now within a foot of two 10 year old Linden trees. Are the trees too close to the driveway? Will the root system eventually break up the concrete?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?