Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
Rate This FAQ
The fruit can be ripened on the tree, but for better quality,
they are best picked early and allowed to ripen indoors. A few guidelines to
use in determining whether pears are ready to be picked include: healthy
fruits begin to drop; there is a change in fruit color from green to yellow;
and the stem separates easily from the branch. To pick pears, grasp the
fruit firmly and twist or roll it to make the stem separate from the tree.
Give the pears the "lift test." Put your index finger on the stem, lift the
pear from the normal vertical orientation to a horizontal or flat position,
perhaps with a slight twist. If the fruit "snaps" off cleanly between the
stem and the twig, the pears are ready to strip from the tree. If you have
to wrench off the fruit either breaking the twig or the fruit stem, the
fruit is probably not ready. On larger trees, fruit growing in the top often
ripens earlier than fruit in the shaded interior.
If pears are picked before they are fully ripe, they should be ripened at a
temperature of 60° to 70°F. This will result in optimum quality and
smoothness of flesh. If you want to keep pears for a longer period of time,
store the freshly picked fruit in the refrigerator.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?