Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
Rate This FAQ
Brown margins on leaves can be either too much water or not enough water. It is best to check the soil moisture content between waterings to see if the soil has dried out. When you water too much, there is no pore space
available for air or oxygen which is also a requirement for proper plant growth. You'll see from the reference below, they are not tolerant of water logged soils.
To answer the question, I'd like to know what type of sun exposure the shrubs have. According to Michael Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants, "Can tolerate both shady and sunny conditions although performs well in heavy
shade and still develops good fall color; not tolerant of water logged soils; pH adaptable; shows stress in droughty soils; ideally should be watered and / or mulched in hot, dry situations."
So I would say if these are planted in full sun, try mulching around the base to retain some of the soil moisture, whereas if these are planted in the shade, it may be too much water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I'm wondering if there is a variety of Almond tree that grows well in Davis county. And, are they self-fertile? Can they be grown near nectarines? (I've read that they shouldn't be grown near peaches as they can develop a bitter taste.)
- Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- When and with what should I spray my peach and apple trees for pests?