Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
Rate This FAQ
Brown margins on leaves can be either too much water or not enough water. It is best to check the soil moisture content between waterings to see if the soil has dried out. When you water too much, there is no pore space
available for air or oxygen which is also a requirement for proper plant growth. You'll see from the reference below, they are not tolerant of water logged soils.
To answer the question, I'd like to know what type of sun exposure the shrubs have. According to Michael Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants, "Can tolerate both shady and sunny conditions although performs well in heavy
shade and still develops good fall color; not tolerant of water logged soils; pH adaptable; shows stress in droughty soils; ideally should be watered and / or mulched in hot, dry situations."
So I would say if these are planted in full sun, try mulching around the base to retain some of the soil moisture, whereas if these are planted in the shade, it may be too much water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When and with what should I spray my peach and apple trees for pests?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- Putting more color in your landscape