Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
Rate This FAQ
Brown margins on leaves can be either too much water or not enough water. It is best to check the soil moisture content between waterings to see if the soil has dried out. When you water too much, there is no pore space
available for air or oxygen which is also a requirement for proper plant growth. You'll see from the reference below, they are not tolerant of water logged soils.
To answer the question, I'd like to know what type of sun exposure the shrubs have. According to Michael Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants, "Can tolerate both shady and sunny conditions although performs well in heavy
shade and still develops good fall color; not tolerant of water logged soils; pH adaptable; shows stress in droughty soils; ideally should be watered and / or mulched in hot, dry situations."
So I would say if these are planted in full sun, try mulching around the base to retain some of the soil moisture, whereas if these are planted in the shade, it may be too much water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What causes plants to look dirty and lose their green color during the heat of the summer? One culprit is spider mites.
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?