Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
Rate This FAQ
Brown margins on leaves can be either too much water or not enough water. It is best to check the soil moisture content between waterings to see if the soil has dried out. When you water too much, there is no pore space
available for air or oxygen which is also a requirement for proper plant growth. You'll see from the reference below, they are not tolerant of water logged soils.
To answer the question, I'd like to know what type of sun exposure the shrubs have. According to Michael Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants, "Can tolerate both shady and sunny conditions although performs well in heavy
shade and still develops good fall color; not tolerant of water logged soils; pH adaptable; shows stress in droughty soils; ideally should be watered and / or mulched in hot, dry situations."
So I would say if these are planted in full sun, try mulching around the base to retain some of the soil moisture, whereas if these are planted in the shade, it may be too much water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I get rid of morning glory?
- Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
- Can I recycle garden waste without composting?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- What is the best way to get rid of morning glory in my lawn and garden?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?