Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what variety of raspberries you have, but generally, you'll need to do some thinning and pruning back for better fruit production. The pruning timing depends on if it is a June-bearing or ever bearing raspberry.
Fertilizer addition has to be timed properly, otherwise the plant will push energy into vegetative (leaf) growth and less into fruit production. The excess growth you refer to I believe is due to over fertilization. Because these raspberries have been in for awhile, the soil conditions may not be ideal for good fruit production. High organic matter, good drainage, and weed free. Sometimes raised beds are preferred to have the good drainage and high organic matter suitable for raspberries.
Here is a link to a fact sheet on Red Raspberry production that may help you with produce better berries.
I'm also sending you a link to an article on raspberries
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?
- do ants eat one another?
- I need info on the care and maintenance of a Christmas Poinsetta. In the past I have lost them and really wish to keep this one alive to add to my current household of plants.
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- How can I stay on top of yard and garden problems?