Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what variety of raspberries you have, but generally, you'll need to do some thinning and pruning back for better fruit production. The pruning timing depends on if it is a June-bearing or ever bearing raspberry.
Fertilizer addition has to be timed properly, otherwise the plant will push energy into vegetative (leaf) growth and less into fruit production. The excess growth you refer to I believe is due to over fertilization. Because these raspberries have been in for awhile, the soil conditions may not be ideal for good fruit production. High organic matter, good drainage, and weed free. Sometimes raised beds are preferred to have the good drainage and high organic matter suitable for raspberries.
Here is a link to a fact sheet on Red Raspberry production that may help you with produce better berries.
I'm also sending you a link to an article on raspberries
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
- How do I control field bind weed?
- How do I get rid of the subterranean creature(s) (moles?)that pushing up piles of freshly excavated dirt in all my flower beds and into my sprinkler valve boxes?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- I heard there is an organism in garden soil that can be harmful to pregnant women. Is this true?
- I live in Lindon and have heavy clay soil. I have been adding leaves and grass to my garden soil and it still compacts rapidly. Can I use the compost from the green and public waste dept. on a vegetable garden?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- Can I recycle garden waste without composting?