Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what variety of raspberries you have, but generally, you'll need to do some thinning and pruning back for better fruit production. The pruning timing depends on if it is a June-bearing or ever bearing raspberry.
Fertilizer addition has to be timed properly, otherwise the plant will push energy into vegetative (leaf) growth and less into fruit production. The excess growth you refer to I believe is due to over fertilization. Because these raspberries have been in for awhile, the soil conditions may not be ideal for good fruit production. High organic matter, good drainage, and weed free. Sometimes raised beds are preferred to have the good drainage and high organic matter suitable for raspberries.
Here is a link to a fact sheet on Red Raspberry production that may help you with produce better berries.
I'm also sending you a link to an article on raspberries
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.
- Earlier this season we sprayed with Dursban, can we still eat the fruit?
- My squash plants turned white and wilted this summer. What happened?