Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what variety of raspberries you have, but generally, you'll need to do some thinning and pruning back for better fruit production. The pruning timing depends on if it is a June-bearing or ever bearing raspberry.
Fertilizer addition has to be timed properly, otherwise the plant will push energy into vegetative (leaf) growth and less into fruit production. The excess growth you refer to I believe is due to over fertilization. Because these raspberries have been in for awhile, the soil conditions may not be ideal for good fruit production. High organic matter, good drainage, and weed free. Sometimes raised beds are preferred to have the good drainage and high organic matter suitable for raspberries.
Here is a link to a fact sheet on Red Raspberry production that may help you with produce better berries.
I'm also sending you a link to an article on raspberries
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I control field bind weed?
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- I am wrapping up my garden for the year. I have been looking at adding horse manure to my garden soil to boost the organic matter in it. This year I added NutriMulch (turkey manure blend) and that worked out well, but was expensive. I'm concerned about the soil quality. I notice that it's pretty hard when in big dry clods. Would I be hurting my garden to add green horse manure now, and tilling it in? I've read a little about deficiencies in the soil because of too much horse manure, so if it's safe or even a good idea to add to a garden, how much is the right amount?