Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what variety of raspberries you have, but generally, you'll need to do some thinning and pruning back for better fruit production. The pruning timing depends on if it is a June-bearing or ever bearing raspberry.
Fertilizer addition has to be timed properly, otherwise the plant will push energy into vegetative (leaf) growth and less into fruit production. The excess growth you refer to I believe is due to over fertilization. Because these raspberries have been in for awhile, the soil conditions may not be ideal for good fruit production. High organic matter, good drainage, and weed free. Sometimes raised beds are preferred to have the good drainage and high organic matter suitable for raspberries.
Here is a link to a fact sheet on Red Raspberry production that may help you with produce better berries.
I'm also sending you a link to an article on raspberries
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?
- Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
- I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.