Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
Rate This FAQ
It is difficult to know without seeing a sample, but it sounds like Curly Top Virus. I will cut and paste in some information about it below. Contact me or one of the county offices if you would like a sample examined.
Curly top (CT) is a serious disease on tomatoes and other vegetable crops in the western states. This virus is harbored in weeds, such as mustard, and Russian thistle where it is found in rangelands and vacant
lots. It is felt that the beet leafhopper picks up the virus while feeding and transmits (vectors) it to cultivated plants. The warmer regions of the desert southwest provide a suitable over wintering area for the beet leafhopper, where they come in contact with the virus before migrating north in the spring. Once infected most plants will
die. There is no cure, but some control is achieved through using resistant varieties.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
- When can I cut back my tulips and other spring bulbs?
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?
- You might be a gardener if...