Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
Rate This FAQ
It is difficult to know without seeing a sample, but it sounds like Curly Top Virus. I will cut and paste in some information about it below. Contact me or one of the county offices if you would like a sample examined.
Curly top (CT) is a serious disease on tomatoes and other vegetable crops in the western states. This virus is harbored in weeds, such as mustard, and Russian thistle where it is found in rangelands and vacant
lots. It is felt that the beet leafhopper picks up the virus while feeding and transmits (vectors) it to cultivated plants. The warmer regions of the desert southwest provide a suitable over wintering area for the beet leafhopper, where they come in contact with the virus before migrating north in the spring. Once infected most plants will
die. There is no cure, but some control is achieved through using resistant varieties.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have had some raspberry plants in an area near my house (6' x 12') for over ten years and only in the spring do I try to gently loosen the soil with a gardening fork. I have not added anything other than some fruit oriented fertilizer or Miracle Grow in that time. Half of the section usually produces berries the size of the tip of your little finger and some grow as big as the tip of your thumb. The others are small and crumbly,which is okey of jam but not for visuals or overall production. I read that crumbliness is due to ovary infertility. How do I overcome that? Should I also be doing some thinning? Early this last spring I cut the canes to about three feet high but many of them are now close to eight feet long. What is the best way to deal with excess growth?
- How do I know when to cover tomatoes so the do not freeze?
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- I live in Dayton,Id. I seem to have a lot of trouble with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. What could I be doing wrong? To much water not enough or wrong fertilizer? Need suggestions.
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?